[hllug] Firewall Ignites

  • From: Cranz Nichols <wb5bkl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LIST - HLLug <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:55:46 -0600

Today, I seem to have m0n0wall working on the 3rd hard drive that I
tried (80Gb! - a hand-me-down from my son Ian).  Elizabeth tells me if I
put the stuff that does not work directly into the trash that I will
never have to pick it up again...  EA is often right.

I did order that CF IDE adapter that Lee recommended long ago and the
smallest CF card that I could find at the same website.  I suspect that
I will see them early next week.

So, I will put this project on hold until then.

On a related topic...  A 1Gb CF is pretty much overkill for the m0n0wall
software.  DSL would fit on this easily too.  ~$12 or so.

I wonder if any of you have tried to run a distribution solely on RAM -
for anything except a demonstration... or a firewall.

I understand that is what the new, very thin and light Apple notebook is
doing.  It would certainly avoid the problems I have had recently with
duff drives (both hard and floppy).

What about the failure modes of CF?

Just curious about the experiences of others.

cln
Meanest Man on Emeralds Drive

<snip>