[hllug] Editing Thunderbird headers

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:01:31 -0500

Why would you want to edit message headers?

With Outlook98 I could edit a received message and then save it.  Pretty
handy for messages from a recipe list... just get rid of the unwanted
stuff and change the subject.  A bit easier than copying the wanted bits
to paste into a new e-mail *and* the From and Date fields were unchanged.
So, for a message that once said "Soups&Salads - Jerusalem Artichoke
Soup - January 17, 2006", I changed the Subject to "Spinach Madeleine"
as that was the only recipe I saved.

When I imported my mail into T'bird, all that went away.  Annoying, to
say the least.

Yeah, I'm too chicken/lazy to edit the mail files with Notepad or whatever.

And yes, I know I can drag a message into the Drafts folder or just "Edit message as new" but that changes the date and time and From.

I found an extension called "TB Header Tools".  You can modify the
header detail of messages, edit the subject line, the recipient's name
and even the date.

Get it:  http://ext.extenzilla.org/header_tools/HeaderTools.xpi

Read about it:  http://forum.addonsmirror.net/index.php?showtopic=1906

Pretty darn cool!