[hllug] Re: Aid fixing fstab

  • From: Lee Parmeter <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:28:53 -0500

On 09/12/2009 11:24 PM, Lee Parmeter wrote:
Herb:

On 09/12/2009 06:39 PM, Herb Cee wrote:
Hi all If more info is needed please feed me the code.

I sure need fixing. My /etc/fstab is messed and I have spent hours reading all I could google and it still is confusing to me. This could be a senior problem since I begin my #80 orbit next Mon the 14th. I complete orbit #79, I claiming that as excuse LOL. I can tell ya one thing fer sur is this growing old crap ain't for sissies, arrrggg.

Box is P-4 ECS945G-M3, Intel 3.0G dualcore, 3G DDR2 800 running Unbuntu 8.04 desktop on 5 port router, 2 desktops U-804, 1 desktop Win-XP sharing w/samba.

My objective for this box is to mount a 2nd 200GB SATA HD as sdb with 3 partitions that have been created and sdb1 already contains a backup copy of all data on sda3/home. I want to put a copy of Win-ME on sdb2, if I can but not sure about that. I flagged it in gparted for boot. Does that create a MBR that Windows can understand?
No, you'll need to use fdisk under windows to fix the MBR. However, windows may not like the fact that the partition number is screwy with the first partition being sdb2.

So, you may need to delete all the partitions and possible write zeros over the entire drive and start over, making a partition for windows, restoring the data and then installing the MBR first before you add the other partitions. Or just install a fresh copy of Windows after you clean-up the drive. I would make Windows boot-happy first!

Here's a link that should help installing the MBR
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013