[hllug] Re: 12.04 desktop

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 00:25:19 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks Lee & Don
I spent all day blowing the OS out trying to manipulate Unity & I give up I may
try again later but right now both fresh installs are broke Recovery refuses to
run prints out a page of complaints & hangs up.

I quit & reinstalled 11.04 that gives me the choice to get gnome classic-no
effects & I have reinstalled all my files from USB HD & now I know where
everything is & can get there with single clicks

I will reinstall the broken sys tomorrow so that I can try again later on.
hh

On Friday, May 18, 2012 20:45, "Don Crowder" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx> said:

On 05/18/2012 03:56 PM, [mailto:hc@xxxxxxxxxxx] hc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Woops forgot the attachment
herb@herb-elfa:~$ sudo apt-get           install gnome-session-fallback
 [sudo] password for herb:
 Reading package lists... Done
 Building dependency tree
 Reading state information... Done
 gnome-session-fallback is already the newest version.
 gnome-session-fallback set to manually installed.
 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 133 not           upgraded.
 herb@herb-elfa:~$

On Friday, May 18, 2012 14:54,           [mailto:hc@xxxxxxxxxxx] hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
said:

Hi Lee
 You said I could still install Gnome 2 & 3 on U-12.04               but I
cannot seem to get it to work. here is the CLI               dialog for the
command that I tried.  After rebooting I do               not get a choice from
the login screen it shows 'herb' as               only user with no options
that I can see.  I can use the               unity default desk but I would be
happy if I could go back               to what I have been using for past 5yrs.
I have not               removed the Unity as some pages suggest. Should I?
Could               you please give me the proper code to use,
 Thanks herbHerb, not sure, but I think you have to log out and look for a
place     on the log in screen to switch from Unity to whatever you've
installed.   Sorry I can't recall the exact syntax but that's what I     always
had to do to get KDE on Debian (since it came with gnome by     default).   As
I recall, you can select "for this session" or "make     it the default".

-- Don Crowder[http://www.don-guitar.com]
http://www.don-guitar.com[http://twitter.com/eldergeek]
http://twitter.com/eldergeek[http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/]
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/[//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch]