[hipl-users] Re: security properties of HIP

  • From: Murugaraj Shanmugam <murugaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:24:20 +0100

Hi Miika,

  Thanks for your comments!!  I have still some comments about the
client authentication to the server.  I have inlined below,

> > (ii ). the server cannot authenticate client, because he do not check
> > the HI from the DNS or from secure method. An Intruder can legitemetly
> > establish a connection.
>
> Good question but what does the checking from the DNS really tell the
> server? I guess the server can have a some kind of access control list
> based on host identities that cab be used for accepting only certain
> hosts.
>
> In the I1, the responder gets the initiator's HIT and IP address only. The
> responder can try to resolve the IP address if initiator and try to find
> if it finds a matching HIT. The HIT could be also be a type 2 (HAA)
> HIT which includes some information about the domain of the initiator's
> HIT. In the I2, the responder gets the initiators HI, HIT, IP address and
> possibly FQDN. FQDN can be used for resolving the initiators HIT although
> I doubt the usefullness of this (and it's bad for performance - more
> round-trips).

   Yes, you are certainly right here. If u go for DNS look up , that
will expose to some other threats(possibly DoS). But my problem is,
Should I consider this property as a security weakness?

if the intruder legitimately establish a connection, is it a violation
of a security property?

comments are welcome!!

ciao,
Raj.