[hipl-users] Re: rpm naming

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:15:30 +0200

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi Robert,

I am finally at the point where I have a new set of rpms (newer patch level) to apply to a system.

excellent!

Problem is there is no change in the rpm name, so yum does not see anything to update (even if the file create date is more recent).

The RPMs are like this:

/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/hipl-daemon-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm

Is there a magic yum parameter to get the update applied?

Feel free to experiment with the Release number:

test/packaging/hipl.spec
Version: 1.0.4
Release: 1

> Don't want to do an erase then install. Would that not make all new HIs?

The configuration files are not managed by yum/rpm. Hipd creates them by itself and removal of rpm does not remove the HIs.

Or perhaps the patch number should be included in the rpm name? The SIP communicator project does this with their nightly rpms.

I have named the current version as 1.0.4 in anticipation of the next release in the version control. I would recommend that you change your local copy to 1.0.3-2 so that you'd stay in sync with the version numbering.

What I would do is change the Release to:

Release: 1-patch-1982

Or whatever the last patch of the day is. Thing is the only ways I have figure out how to find the last patch of the day is to see it scroll by when running 'tla replay' or running 'tla logs -D' and waiting for the end of that long list...

Well I had to use 1.1982, rpm did not like the dashes, so why fight it. This change made the yum update work just fine.

Important point about changes in dependencies needed since Nov 24th, the following modules were installed to meet dependencies this time around:

perl-Socket6
perl-IO-Socket-INET6
perl-Digest-SHA1
perl-Digest-HMAC
perl-Net-DNS
uuid

Of course some of these might just be because I now finally have the gcc-c++ module installed when I do the make rpm!

the perl stuff is required by Oleg's DNS extensions.