[hipl-users] Re: new dns-related extensions in HIPL

  • From: Oleg Ponomarev <oleg.ponomarev@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:47:12 +0200 (EET)

HI! On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Miika Komu wrote:

"nsupdate on" means "please publish my HIT in hit-to-ip.infrahip.net", then other hosts (with "hit-to-ip on") will be able to reach you.

So HIT_OF_SOME_OTHER_MACHINE has to be "published" before that. You may try, for example, one of our test servers:
$ ping6 felwood-hit.infrahip.net

Oleg Ponomarev has contributed extensions to map HITs to IP addresses via DNS in HIPL. Although the current extensions are domain specific (by default infrahip domain), we believe them to be of practical value.

Please experiment with Oleg's extensions by adding the following lines to /etc/hip/hipd_config:

nsupdate on
hit-to-ip on

And then restart hipd and try (as an example):

 ping6 HIT_OF_SOME_OTHER_MACHINE

Make sure that HIT_OF_SOME_OTHER_MACHINE is commented out from /etc/hip/hosts to guarantee that the resolution occurs via DNS. The extensions are available in the main and userspace branches. Thanks for your feedback.

--
Regards, Oleg.