[hipl-users] kernel package HIPL mini-HOWTO for debian

  • From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
  • To: samu.varjonen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:42:48 +0300 (EEST)

Samu asked how to manage HIPL kernel patches on Debian/Ubuntu. Currently I am using the following method:

aptitude install kernel-package
less /usr/share/kernel-packaged/doc/README
aptitude install ipw2200-source
aptitude install ieee80211-source aptitude install alsa-source
aptitude install nvidia_etc_source
cd /usr/src
(extract ipw, ieee, alsa and nvidia-etc packages)
cd /usr/src/linux-with-hipl-patches
make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-xx
dpkg -i ../alsa-modules-xx
dpkg -i ../etc.
<check that the modules are loaded in /etc/modules>
reboot

I am using the the previous method on my workstation, IBM laptop and virtual machines. It is very convinient because the external drivers are semi-automatically included when I upgrade kernels.

P.S. Building a separate ALSA module requires that ALSA is *not* built in to the core kernel.

--
Miika Komu              miika@xxxxxx          http://www.iki.fi/miika/