[hipl-users] hipconf run normal NOT checking DNS

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:02:46 -0500

I tried to run telnet via 'hipconf run normal telnet <host>' where host is an IPv6 addressed host.

When I try it to a host that is defined in /etc/hosts and /etc/hip/hosts it works.

When I try it with a host in DNS (both AAAA record and HI via instructions in ch 29), it seems like it is only trying IPv6, not with the HIT (all the debug messages seem to imply this) and I get permissions denied. Well I am NOT allowing port 21 in ip6tables, counting on 'hipfw -Aid' to allow this over HIP.

So I change ip6tables to allow port 21 and now it connects, but Wireshark shows that Telnet is running 'native' NOT over HIP. I don't know how to show SAs (with hipconf, what options?).

The only thing of note is i am trying to telnet to my DNS server. Will try to another system in a bit.