[hipl-users] Re: hipaware glibc versus relinking a legacy appl. with libinet6

  • From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:08:21 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Shahrokh Sheik-El-Ameh (AH/LMD) wrote:

> In order to make an IPv6 legacy application hipaware, one approach is
> that the application should be relinked with the libinet6 and use the
> new resolver function(s)  getaddrinfo.c.  To get a debian package to be
> built and linked with the new resolver libinet6 can be a cumbersome
> process for complex debian packages. In order to avoid relinking an
> application, I consider another alternative namely to make glibc
> hipaware, by simply rebuild the glibc debian package with the necessary
> modifications. It has another advantage that relinking is not necessary
> for other applications.  Is this approach a realistic one and is it
> fairly simple to overcome compared to the first approach which demands
> modifications in configure/ Makefile files in a debian package source
> code?

HIP enabled glibc is ultimately the Right Way [tm] to go. I don't think
that most people want to build software from the source, so this would
make it easier for people to try out HIP.

> and if it is realistic, how the glibc sorurce directory should be
> modified/changed so that a build process of the glibc package resul!
>  ts in a hipaware glibc, and consequently functions declared in
> /usr/include/netdb.h will be the ones from hip4linux libinet6 library
> library??

I think USAGI libinet6 has been forked off the glibc at some point of
time, but they are currently unsynchronized:

Q: Why does USAGI project stop providing patches against glibc ?
   A: We make libinet6 library and our applications link it. It is
   built and installed independent from glibc because it is very
   costly and dangerous to replace glibc. [USAGI FAQ]

I guess one has to read the source code trough and see where the changes
need to be applied. But this is only valid for the legacy HIP API, the
native HIP API is consists of new functions only.

I found an RPM version of the libinet6 library, but I didn't find any DEB.
The names of the glibc debian packages are "libc6" and "libc6-dev". Are
you interested in contributing to HIP development on this area?

--
Miika Komu              miika@xxxxxx          http://www.iki.fi/miika/