[hipl-users] Re: firefox and apache over HIP

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 00:06:38 +0300

Hi,

I am looking at the manual for running http over hip.

There are some notes about enabling apache.  Hopefully I will figure
them out.

But there are no instructions for firefox. There WAS back in the days; a
chapter 12.  It is not there now.  So how do I enable firefox to use
hip?  Is the plugin for the lock available?  Fedora20 is using Firefox 28.

apache and firefox do not require any extra setting for HIP. You might consider a few things though:

1. enable IPv6 for apache to make use of HITs (should be enabled by default)
2. some software (like firefox) require square brackets [2001:1234::1] around IPv6 addresses if you employ them directly (i.e. without DNS names)

If you download the trunk, you'll find a php test file that you can deploy at the apache server. It checks if you're using HIP or not:

trunk: doc/hip-php-test-site.php

And what is the browser on Android 4.3?  Yes I also have an Android
platform(s) for testing.

I am not sure, but the DNS proxy has not been tested at all on Android, so you stuck to hosts files.

Getting the Android build to work requires some time and patience.

Oh, and would be kind of neat if the method were hip://url  :)

:)