[hipl-users] Re: Using the DNS proxy

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:06:07 -0400

Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
The manual is too vague on the DNS proxy.

I am running on Centos. On the Centos list I was told to gte DJB's source and install that to get daemontools.

I updated the manual a bit. You can run the dnsproxy as a stand-alone application. The djb stuff is optional (to speed up the dnsproxy).

Do you mean the manual is updated on infrahip.hiit.fi or in the hipl--userspace--2.6/doc directory?

Both.

If the later, I can't open either the index.html or the HOWTO.xml. I get errors on both.

Seems to work fine at least for me:

mkomu@relay:~/projects/hipl--userspace--2.6/doc$ make
xmlto -o howto-html html HOWTO.xml

I assume this was line rapped...
When I try this I get an error:
make: *** No rule to make target `xmlto`. Stop.

yum install xmlto

(This requirement is mentioned in chapter two of manual)

And I had it installed. Just 'tried again', and got 'nothing to do'. Well I have it built now.

But what, in more detail, do I do here. Once I get the tools installed (itself a challenge), what is involved in the DNSproxy script working with, for now, /etc/hosts and /etc/hip/hosts?

The basic way to run it is like this:

sudo dnsproxy

Since I am logged in as root, I tried this without sudo, and got command not found. Located it, kind of, at /usr/local/sbin/dnsproxy.py

> I ran that and got errors:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/sbin/dnsproxy.py, line 10, in ?
> import DNS
> ImportError: No module named DNS

Sorry, the magic wrapper for python is called "dnshipproxy" as the manual says. I didn't recall the right name.

Tried this. Then had to locate dnsshipproxy as it is not on the path. Once I did it failed.

Where was it?

I was not clear. Look at the two directories I show above. That is where it is. But I did not change to either directory, but rather as root, ran them from /root.

Can you run it directly from tools directory?

Yes, and that did the trick.

Tried both the copy in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/hipl-1.0.4/tools/dnsproxy (there due to running make rpm?) and /root/hipl--userspace--2.6/tools and got the error:

python: can't open file `dnsproxy.py`: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Well, for me "make install" puts things into their right places:

And as I indicated above, seems I have to be in the tools directory to run dnshipproxy. Just one more thing to note for now.

So I am now going to redo much of my testing with dnshipproxy rather than hipconf run normal, while I wait for your figuring out the kernel build magic!