[hipl-users] Re: Using the DNS proxy

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:17:06 +0300

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
The manual is too vague on the DNS proxy.

I am running on Centos. On the Centos list I was told to gte DJB's source and install that to get daemontools.

I updated the manual a bit. You can run the dnsproxy as a stand-alone application. The djb stuff is optional (to speed up the dnsproxy).

Do you mean the manual is updated on infrahip.hiit.fi or in the hipl--userspace--2.6/doc directory?

Both.

If the later, I can't open either the index.html or the HOWTO.xml. I get errors on both.

Seems to work fine at least for me:

mkomu@relay:~/projects/hipl--userspace--2.6/doc$ make
xmlto -o howto-html html HOWTO.xml
..
mkomu@relay:~/projects/hipl--userspace--2.6/doc$ lynx howto-html/index.html

But what, in more detail, do I do here. Once I get the tools installed (itself a challenge), what is involved in the DNSproxy script working with, for now, /etc/hosts and /etc/hip/hosts?

The basic way to run it is like this:

sudo dnsproxy

Since I am logged in as root, I tried this without sudo, and got command not found. Located it, kind of, at /usr/local/sbin/dnsproxy.py

> I ran that and got errors:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/sbin/dnsproxy.py, line 10, in ?
> import DNS
> ImportError: No module named DNS

Sorry, the magic wrapper for python is called "dnshipproxy" as the manual says. I didn't recall the right name.