[hipl-users] Re: Test fails due to use the HIT as a *real* address

  • From: Miika Komu <miika@xxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:47:19 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Jesús Rojo Martínez wrote:

Hi Jesús,

The results with the IPv6 default route added are... kind of SUCCESS!! :))

It connects to the peer, using (finally :D) HIP, as it appears some
packets in tcpdump.
I attach the logs into the tar file test1.tar.gz (syslog, client-gai
output, tcpdump and setkey -PD).

Yes, this seems to be successful.

BUT it doesn't work with a direct ping6 to the HIT :S Shouldn't it work?
There is no packet in tcpdump, and no log in syslog...

Is it so that the first ping is dropped? And if you try it again, it will succeed?

I removed the IPv6 address (3ffe::x) to try it with IPv4.
With the default IPv6 route it works now also, logs in test2 tar file.
Without the default IPv6 route... It works also NOW!! (Why didn't it work
before? I tried it also :S :( ). Logs in test3 (I guess similar results to
test2).

Seemed to be successful.

BUT AGAIN it doesn't work with a direct ping6 to the HIT And also there is
no packet in tcpdump, and no log in syslog...

Sometimes the source HIT selection is weird. You can specify source HIT to ping6 with -I SRC_HIT. Maybe you can try the pingtest.sh tool from test directory? You give it first the IP address of the peer and then the HITs of the peer.

* With hipd_config (and IPv6 addresses, although it fails with IPv4 as
well):

AGAIN it get frozen "waiting for daemon info".
Logs in tar file test4.
To stand out, the log:

debug(user.c:323@hip_handle_user_msg) No response sent

Ok, for the last time, please try this just once again because I am not able to reproduce it. There was a bind() call missing from resolver. Interestingly, it seemes to produce different results on different machines.

hipl--main--2.6--patch-207 contains:

  * a fix to the hipd_config (hopefully)
  * the daemon prevents multiple daemons from running (Antti Partanen)
  * fixes on DNS resolution (Samu Varjonen)

That's it. Thank you very much for your help. I hope all my tests and logs
have helped you also to improve the software :)

No problem and thanks you for testing. I hope you could still at least try the hipd_config stuff.

Anyway, there is still some problems to fix.

P.D.: Sorry for the attachments, I think they are not too heavy and I hope
they don't disturb you (all the users in this ML) too much.

The hipl-users list is for discussion and bug reports, so no apology is necessary.

--
Miika Komu                                       http://www.iki.fi/miika/