[hipl-users] Re: Problems with nsupdate

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:28:59 +0300

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

Oleg Ponomarev wrote:
Hello! On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

On oqo2, I uncommented the line in /etc/hip/hipd_config so that nsupdate is on.

I cannot see any evidence that an update was attempted. No SA to any hiit system. All I am seeing when I do a 'service hipd restart' is the RVS registation (via tcpdump).

I did not enable hit-to-ip, as all I wanted was the reverse working???

It sends an update to ptr-soa-hit.infrahip.net. (2001:1a:2a72:f01c:d98e: 311c:c76a:57c4), so probably it could not establish the connection without hit-to-ip. When I did this feature, I thought people would be more interested in hit-to-ip service (hit-to-ip on) and only some of them would publish their information (nsupdate on).

This is kind of trouble, why I started to work on hit-to-ip mapping. When applications just send a packet to unknown HIT, HIP-daemon does not know how to connect.

Yes I am beginning to see this. If a HIT is in a referral, how do you connect? The apps are not written to do a reverse lookup first, they just 'run' with the address supplied.

So for example, I am running a SIP peer client over HIP. In my buddy list, all my buddy's names will be mapping to HITs, not IPv6 addresses. If someone wants to connect to a buddy by getting the info from me to then do a direct connect (the 'better' way would be to use me as an RVS for my buddy), this problem crops up.

IMHO, one of the key points of this extension is to allow HITs used as referrals. Application connects directly to a cached HIT and hipd determines the IP address via DNS on the fly.