[hipl-users] Re: Problems with hipdnsproxy and TightVNC viewer

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:27:59 +0200

Miika Komu wrote:

Hi,

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

I have gotten TightVNC viewer to work with LSIs where I already have the SA up (via a ping6) and know the server's LSI via 'hipconf get ha all'.

I create an A RR for responder.htt with an address of 1.0.0.135

So I am running clean after a boot, nothing hanging around. hipdnsproxy running in a terminal so I can watch its lookups. I run

vncviewer responder.htt:5902

And nothing happens; the connection timesout. No lookups in hipdnsproxy and of course no HIP base exchanges showing up in the tcpdump window. So I try 'host responder.htt' and I get back both the A and AAAA records, and hipdnsproxy shows the retrievals. I try the vncviewer command again, and still nothing.

It would seem that vncviewer is doing something of its own for dns lookups.

Oh, I also tried running 'hipconf run normal vncviewer...' And still nothing.

So I can use vnc viewer for remote management, but it is not easy to use.

dnsproxy does not support yet mapping of HITs to LSIs from DNS. I'll implement this as soon as I have half a day of spare time. Currently, the LSIs must be stored in /etc/hip/hosts to make the LSI magic to happen. Alternatively, you can use hipconf add map to configure them or even insert corresponding lines to /etc/hip/hipd_config.

this feature (bug id 726) should be now completed. Dnsproxy can return LSIs also for HI/HITs dynamically when application is querying A records. Now, should be no other reason to specify LSIs manually other than guaranteeing e.g. persistant ACL rules.