[hipl-users] Re: Problems with RVS

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:22:52 +0300

Hi Paola,

hmm, the infrahip.net network seems to have some IPv6 connectivity problems at the moment (at least for me), so I recommend that you set up three machines of your own (initiator, rendezvous and responder). A successful registration looks like this:

$ sudo hipconf daemon add server rvs 2001:1b:a9be:c6a6:34e5:8361:c07f:a990 193.167.187.134 1111 Requesting 1 service for 1024 seconds (lifetime 0x90) from 2001:1b:a9be:c6a6:34e5:8361:c07f:a990 193.167.187.134.
Sending user message 104 to HIPD on socket 3
Sent 96 bytes
Waiting to receive daemon info.
96 bytes received from HIP daemon.
User message was sent successfully to the HIP daemon.

$ hipconf daemon get ha all
Sending user message 22 to HIPD on socket 3
Sent 40 bytes
Waiting to receive daemon info.
456 bytes received from HIP daemon.
HA is ESTABLISHED
 Shotgun mode is off.
 Broadcast mode is off.
 Local HIT: 2001:0019:11ac:e3af:2367:11a4:1a36:36ec
 Peer  HIT: 2001:001b:a9be:c6a6:34e5:8361:c07f:a990
 Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
 Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.100
 Local IP: 192.168.1.127
 Local NAT traversal UDP port: 10500
 Peer  IP: 193.167.187.134
 Peer  NAT traversal UDP port: 10500
 Peer  hostname: crossroads.infrahip.net
 Peer has granted us rendezvous service
                     ^^^^^^^^^^
HA is ESTABLISHED

On 10/20/2013 01:43 AM, Paola Venuso wrote:
Hi Miika,

thank you for re-enabling the service. I tried the connection with IPv4
and as you expected it didn't work.
To priorize the IPv6 addresses I edited gai.conf file uncommenting the
lines:

label ::1/128       0
label ::/0          1
label 2002::/16     2
label ::/96         3
label ::ffff:0:0/96 4
label fec0::/10     5
label fc00::/7      6

I tested IPv6 visiting ipv6-test.com <http://ipv6-test.com> that gave me
this result:

When both protocols are available, your browser uses
IPv6
Your internet connection is IPv6 capable
2001:0:53aa:64c:807:6e66:a269:1d27^ [?
<http://db-ip.com/2001%3A0%3A53aa%3A64c%3A807%3A6e66%3Aa269%3A1d27>]

Address type is
Teredo <http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling>
Tunneling from *93.150.226.216:37273 <http://93.150.226.216:37273>*
(server *83.170.6.76*)

So I guess this part is ok.
Then I registered to crossroads using its IPv6 address and tried nc6
connection from the initiator. Previously at the initiator  I edited
/etc/hosts (in wich I included IPv6 address of crossroads and the
responder hostname) and /etc/hip/hosts (in wich I included HIT and
hostname of the responder) and also restarted both machines. But the
initiator couldn't reach the responder.
Did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

Paola

2013/10/19 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi Paola,

    I have re-enabled RVS functionality in crossroads and ashenvale now.
    Please bare in mind that a IPv4-over-UDP base exchange may not work
    because your NAT may block it (Teredo may be needed).

    On 10/19/2013 04:51 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

        Hi Miika,

        I read on the manual that crossroads could have been used as
        rvs. This
        is written above the table in which are indicated the addresses
        of the
        test servers. Maybe I misunderstood what is written.
        Anyway I'm installing ubuntu on another computer and trying to
        configure
        the server myself.

        Thanks again,

        Paola

        Il giorno 19/ott/2013 14:40, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>> ha scritto:

             Hi Paolo,

             crossroads is not configured to act as a rendezvous (or
        relay). You
             should deploy and install your own rendezvous server. When
        you have
             done so, you will see some additional registration
        information in
             hipconf output at the responder and then also the initiator
        succeeds
             with the base exchange.

             On 10/18/2013 09:44 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                 Hi Miika,

                 I replaced Windows with Ubuntu on my PCs and now the simple
                 connection
                 between the two hosts works perfectly! :D
                 But I have problems with RVS. I tried registering with
        crossoroads.infrahip.net <http://crossoroads.infrahip.net>
        <http://crossoroads.infrahip.__net
        <http://crossoroads.infrahip.net>>
                 <http://crossoroads.infrahip.____net

                 <http://crossoroads.infrahip.__net
        <http://crossoroads.infrahip.net>>> and then
                 started the connection (using different configuration).
        Only I1
                 packet
                 was sent. I stopped the connection and run "hipconf
        daemon get
                 ha all".
                 At the responder I had this output:

                 paola@ProBook:~$ hipconf daemon get ha all
                 Sending user message 22 to HIPD on socket 3
                 Sent 40 bytes
                 Waiting to receive daemon info.
                 240 bytes received from HIP daemon.
                 HA is ESTABLISHED
                    Shotgun mode is off.
                    Broadcast mode is off.
                    Local HIT: 2001:0018:66b5:52d3:e479:7810:____8446:133b
                    Peer  HIT: 2001:001b:a9be:c6a6:34e5:8361:____c07f:a990

                    Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
                    Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.2
                    Local IP: 192.168.1.210
        <http://crossroads.infrahip.net>
                 <http://crossroads.infrahip.__net
        <http://crossroads.infrahip.net>>
                 <http://crossroads.infrahip.____net
        <http://crossroads.infrahip.__net <http://crossroads.infrahip.net>>>

                 While at the initiator I had this output:

                 paola@ProBook:~$ hipconf daemon get ha all
                 Sending user message 22 to HIPD on socket 3
                 Sent 40 bytes
                 Waiting to receive daemon info.
                 240 bytes received from HIP daemon.
                 HA is I1-SENT
                    Shotgun mode is off.
                    Broadcast mode is off.
                    Local HIT: 20011:0013:e87a:b8e4:68c8:____258b:0fb4:68b8
                    Peer  HIT: 2001:0018:66b5:52d3:e479:7810:____8446:133b

                    Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
                    Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.2
                    Local IP: 192.168.1.184

                 2013/10/17 Paola Venuso <pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx>> <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx>

                 <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pa.venuso@xxxxxxxxx>>>>

                      Hi Miika,

                      the reason why I used virtual machines is that I
        couldn't
                 use Linux
                      as the host machine. But now I convinced myself to
        use it
                 because
                      this test I have to run is for the last part of my
        thesis
                 in which I
                      have to use InfraHIP implementation. About miredo
                 configuration, I
                      have the default one (I only installed the miredo
        packet as the
                      manual says) .
                      Tonight I'm going to install Linux on my machines
        and then
                 to try
                      again the test. I hope everything would be ok.
        I'll let you
                 know.

                      Thank you for everything,

                      Paola

                      2013/10/17 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>

                          Hi Paola,

                          (returning offline discussion to online)

                          my guess of the origins of your problem is
        that the
                 host machine
                          of your virtual machines is Windows, and it
        does not
                 allow raw
                          sockets, even for virtual machines. This is
        probably
                 the reason
                          why HIP-over-UDP-over-IPv4 works, but
        HIP-over-IPv6
                 doesn't.

                          If you really want to do NAT traversal with
        HIP, please
                 consider:

                          1. Using Linux (or OS-X) as the host machine
        (Linux
                 live CD/USB
                          images are available)
                          2. Use HIP over UDP and IPv4, and employ the relay
                 server as
                          instructed in the manual (the relay server
        requires a
                 public
                          IPv4 address)

                          Btw, your Teredo configuration is not fully
        functional
                 because I
                          can't reach your VMs, even though you can reach by
                 yourself.

                          P.S. OpenHIP has some native support for Windows.

                          On 10/16/2013 07:45 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                              Hi Miika,

                              at the initiator:

                              paola2@ubuntu2:~$ lsmod|grep xfrm
                              xfrm_user              31160  1
                              xfrm_algo              14952  3
        xfrm_user,esp6,esp4
                              xfrm6_mode_beet        12577  1
                              xfrm4_mode_beet        12498  1

                              at the responder :

                              paola@ubuntu:~$ lsmod|grep xfrm
                              xfrm_user              31160  1
                              xfrm_algo              14952  3
        xfrm_user,esp6,esp4
                              xfrm6_mode_beet        12577  2
                              xfrm4_mode_beet        12498  2

                              Then I used ping6 with the server address
        and I
                 could reach
                              it. I
                              invoked add map command and ping6 and
        waited for
                 more then a
                              minute but
                              nothing happened so I stopped it:

                              paola@ubuntu:~$ ping6

          2001:10:5403:41fe:a5df:5f02:______9680:b6d2PING

2001:10:5403:41fe:a5df:5f02:______9680:b6d2(2001:10:5403:41fe:______a5df:5f02:9680:b6d2)
                              56 data bytes
                              ^C
                              ---
        2001:10:5403:41fe:a5df:5f02:______9680:b6d2 ping

                 statistics ---
                              222 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100%
        packet
                 loss, time
                              221196ms

                              paola@ubuntu:~$ hipconf daemon get ha all
                              Sending user message 22 to HIPD on socket 3
                              Sent 40 bytes
                              Waiting to receive daemon info.
                              240 bytes received from HIP daemon.
                              HA is I1-SENT
                                 Shotgun mode is off.
                                 Broadcast mode is off.
                                 Local HIT:
                 2001:0012:421d:99a0:005d:d60f:______73b0:4407
                                 Peer  HIT:
                 2001:0010:5403:41fe:a5df:5f02:______9680:b6d2

                                 Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
                                 Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.2
                                 Local IP:
                 3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:______0000:0002

                                 Local NAT traversal UDP port: 0
                                 Peer  IP:
                 3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:______0000:0001

                                 Peer  NAT traversal UDP port: 0
                                 Peer  hostname:

                              2013/10/16 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                              <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                              <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>>

                                   Hi Paola,

                                   On 10/16/2013 12:46 PM, Paola Venuso
        wrote:

                                       Hi Miika,

                                       I deleted the incorrect line with
                 "hipconf" and
                              changed the
                                       debug mode
                                       to "all". I'm sending two emails
        with the
                 output of
                              the debug
                                       because
                                       the message is too big.

                                   What does "lsmod|grep xfrm" give you? It
                 should be:
                                   xfrm_user              35921  1
                                   xfrm6_mode_beet        12658  7
                                   xfrm4_mode_beet        12611  7