[hipl-users] Re: Problems with RVS

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:03:50 +0300

Hi Paola,

can you send me the hipd log from both the client and server? Here's quick way to generate it:

sudo hipd -kd 2>&1|tee /tmp/hipd.log

I can't repeat your problem with my

server:
  % sudo ip addr add 3ffe::1/64 dev eth2

client:
  % sudo ip addr add 3ffe::2/64 dev eth2
  % ping6 3ffe::2 # does IPv6 work?
  % sudo hipconf daemon rst all # reset hipd daemon state
  % hipconf daemon add map 2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06 3ffe::1
  % ping6 2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06
  <actually it took a bit long to get the ping6 through>
PING 2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06(2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06) 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=29.8 ms 64 bytes from 2001:15:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=47.5 ms
^C
  %hipconf daemon get ha all

The last command gives me:

Sending user message 22 to HIPD on socket 3
Sent 40 bytes
Waiting to receive daemon info.
248 bytes received from HIP daemon.
HA is ESTABLISHED
 Shotgun mode is off.
 Broadcast mode is off.
 Local HIT: 2001:0019:11ac:e3af:2367:11a4:1a36:36ec
 Peer  HIT: 2001:0015:e156:8a78:3226:dbaa:f2ff:ed06
 Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
 Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.4
 Local IP: 3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0002
 Local NAT traversal UDP port: 0
 Peer  IP: 3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001
 Peer  NAT traversal UDP port: 0
 Peer  hostname: server

We discovered a checksumming issue (the hipd stops in I1_SENT state as with your set up) when running a HIP exchange between 32-bit and 64-bit virtual machines on IPv6. This was present in the last release, but not in the latest version. I hope you don't have strange dual installation? If you're using only the pre-built binaries, you shouldn't have anything in /usr/local/sbin:

% ls -ld /usr/sbin/hipd /usr/local/sbin/hipd
ls: cannot access /usr/local/sbin/hipd: No such file or directory
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 437112 Aug 13 22:09 /usr/sbin/hipd

On 10/14/2013 08:01 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:
Hi Miika,

I changed network configuration on bridged (I use vmware) and now with
3ffe::xx/64 addresses IPv6 connectivity seems ok (I can reach the other
host), but if I try to ping6 the HIT of the responder I still get I1
packet only.
What else can I do?

Thanks for your help,

Paola

Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:38, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>> ha scritto:

    Hi Paolo,

    it seems so. If you're using e.g. virtualbox, there seems to be some
    advice available at various forums:

https://www.google.com/search?__client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=__ipv6+virtualbox+destination+__unreachable+error&ie=utf-8&oe=__utf-8

<https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=ipv6+virtualbox+destination+unreachable+error&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8>

    On 10/14/2013 05:28 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

        Hi,
        I've just tried this and I've got destination unreachable error.
        So is
        this a problem concernig only IPv6?

        Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:13, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>> ha scritto:

             Hi,

             why don't try plain IPv6 connectivity locally (without
        Teredo) with
             3ffe::x/64 addresses? So that we know if it's about IPv6 or
             something HIP related.

             On 10/14/2013 05:09 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                 Sorry, HIP over IPv6 didn't work.

                 Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:04, "Miika Komu"
        <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>> ha scritto:

                      Hi Paola,

                      what didn't work? Directly IPv6 or HIP-over-IPv6?

                      On 10/14/2013 04:58 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                          Hi Miika,

                          Yes, I did. But it didn't work.

                          Il giorno 14/ott/2013 15:40, "Miika Komu"
                 <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                          <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>
                          <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>> ha scritto:

                               Hi Paola,

                               it seems that you got HIP working with IPv4
                 locators. Did
                          you try
                               with two locally configured IPv6 locators
                 (3ffe::x/64)?

                               On 10/14/2013 02:13 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                                   Hi Miika,

                                   I checked and I think my site
        firewall isn't
                 blocking
                          Teredo
                                   traffic.
                                   Anyway this is the output:

                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ dig -t aaaa
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com>
                                   <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>

                                   ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> -t aaaa
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com>
                                   <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                                   ;; global options: +cmd
                                   ;; Got answer:
                                   ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status:
                 NOERROR, id: 27694
                                   ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1,
                 AUTHORITY: 0,
                          ADDITIONAL: 0

                                   ;; QUESTION SECTION:
                                   ;www.google.com

[...]

[...]