[hipl-users] Re: Problems with RVS

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:38:47 +0300

Hi Paolo,

it seems so. If you're using e.g. virtualbox, there seems to be some advice available at various forums:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=ipv6+virtualbox+destination+unreachable+error&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

On 10/14/2013 05:28 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:
Hi,
I've just tried this and I've got destination unreachable error. So is
this a problem concernig only IPv6?

Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:13, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>> ha scritto:

    Hi,

    why don't try plain IPv6 connectivity locally (without Teredo) with
    3ffe::x/64 addresses? So that we know if it's about IPv6 or
    something HIP related.

    On 10/14/2013 05:09 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

        Sorry, HIP over IPv6 didn't work.

        Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:04, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>> ha scritto:

             Hi Paola,

             what didn't work? Directly IPv6 or HIP-over-IPv6?

             On 10/14/2013 04:58 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                 Hi Miika,

                 Yes, I did. But it didn't work.

                 Il giorno 14/ott/2013 15:40, "Miika Komu"
        <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>> ha scritto:

                      Hi Paola,

                      it seems that you got HIP working with IPv4
        locators. Did
                 you try
                      with two locally configured IPv6 locators
        (3ffe::x/64)?

                      On 10/14/2013 02:13 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                          Hi Miika,

                          I checked and I think my site firewall isn't
        blocking
                 Teredo
                          traffic.
                          Anyway this is the output:

                          paola@ubuntu:~$ dig -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>

                          ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> -t aaaa
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
                          ;; global options: +cmd
                          ;; Got answer:
                          ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status:
        NOERROR, id: 27694
                          ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1,
        AUTHORITY: 0,
                 ADDITIONAL: 0

                          ;; QUESTION SECTION:
                          ;www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>.
                                      IN    AAAA

                          ;; ANSWER SECTION:
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>.
                                  300    IN    AAAA
                          2a00:1450:4002:804::1010

                          ;; Query time: 165 msec
                          ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
                          ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 14 03:22:40 2013
                          ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

                          paola@ubuntu:~$ ping6 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                          PING
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68(2a00:______1450:4010:c04::68)
                 56 data bytes
                          64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68:
        icmp_seq=1 ttl=55
                 time=371 ms
                          64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68:
        icmp_seq=2 ttl=55
                 time=110 ms
                          64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68:
        icmp_seq=3 ttl=55
                 time=110 ms
                          ^C
                          --- 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 ping statistics ---
                          3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet
        loss, time
                 2004ms
                          rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
                 110.529/197.440/371.075/122.______778 ms

                          paola@ubuntu:~$ ip route get
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                          2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 from :: via
                 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 dev teredo
                          src 2001:0:53aa:64c:2cb6:3c14:______4367:467f
          metric 0
                                cache

                          I also tried with your test machine:

                          paola@ubuntu:~$ ping6
                 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91
                          PING

2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91(2001:0:53aa:64c:______3026:52b2:ad4a:8b91)
                          56 data bytes
                          64 bytes from
        2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91:
                 icmp_seq=1
                          ttl=64
                          time=243 ms
                          64 bytes from
        2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91:
                 icmp_seq=2
                          ttl=64
                          time=112 ms
                          ^C
                          --- 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91 ping
                 statistics ---
                          2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet
        loss, time
                 1000ms
                          rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
        112.229/177.819/243.410/65.591 ms

                          Then I tried in my network:

                          - with eth0 I got only I1 packet
                          - with Teredo I got "destination unreachable"
        error

                          And when I stopped ping6 there was 100% of
        packet loss.
                 I also
                          tried to
                          edit manually the hosts files with different
                 configuration but
                          the same
                          happened.

                          Thanks,

                          Paola

                          2013/10/12 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>
                          <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>>

                               Hi Paola,

                               initially, Teredo traffic is forwarded
        through a
                 Teredo
                          server to
                               guaranteee NAT traversal and then miredo
        software
                 tries to
                          pinhole
                               the NAT. My guess is that your *site*
        firewall is
                 blocking the
                               inital messages with the Teredo server.
        You can double
                          check this as
                               follows:

                               mkomu@bling:~$ dig -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>

                               ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> -t aaaa
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
                               ;; global options: +cmd
                               ;; Got answer:
                               ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status:
        NOERROR,
                 id: 12399
                               ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1,
        AUTHORITY: 0,
                          ADDITIONAL: 0

                               ;; QUESTION SECTION:
                               ;www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>
                          <http://www.google.com>.                        IN
                                   AAAA

                               ;; ANSWER SECTION:
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>.
                                   214     IN      AAAA
                                   2a00:1450:4010:c03::93

                               ;; Query time: 333 msec
                               ;; SERVER: 193.229.0.40#53(193.229.0.40)
                               ;; WHEN: Sat Oct 12 14:20:35 2013
                               ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

                               mkomu@bling:~$ ping6 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                               PING
                 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68(2a00:________1450:4010:c04::68) 56
                          data bytes
                               64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68:
        icmp_seq=1
                 ttl=55
                          time=1363 ms
                               64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68:
        icmp_seq=2
                 ttl=55
                          time=441 ms
                               ^C
                               --- 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 ping
        statistics ---
                               2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0%
        packet loss,
                 time 1000ms
                               rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
                 441.913/902.595/1363.277/460.________682
                          ms, pipe 2
                               mkomu@bling:~$ ip route get
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                               2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 from :: via
                 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                          dev teredo
                               src
        2001:0:53aa:64c:473:6a2c:ab19:________60e3  metric 0

                               If this does not work for you, it
        probably means
                 that the
                          firewall
                               your site is blocking Teredo. You can
        contact your
                 site
                               administrator to open the UDP port 3544.

                               You can also try the
                          2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:________ad4a:8b91
        (my test
                               machine) which is actually behind a real NAT
                 unlike the google
                               server. If you can reach google server,
        but not
                 mine, it
                          most likely
                               means that either of us is using a
                 p2p-incompatible NAT.

                               You can also try e.g. 3ffe::x/64 address
        space for
                 local
                          experiments
                               in your local LAN (or WLAN). Just
        configure it to
                 the eth0
                          (or other
                               device) for two machines and try pinging
        each other.

                               On 10/11/2013 09:03 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                                   Hi Miika,

                                   I uncommented the line "Bindport
        3545" in file
                          miredo.conf as I
                                   read on
                                   the man page of miredo and checked
        ufw files
                 for rules
                          blocking IPv6
                                   traffic (I uncommented two about
        forwarding,
                 the others
                          about
                                   enabling
                                   this traffic were already
        uncommented). Then I
                 tried
                          ping6 the
                                   locators
                                   and I got the message: unknown host.
                                   Also I tried manual set up with
        IPv4-based
                 locators, as you
                                   wrote me,
                                   and my host exchanged HIP UPDATE and
        I1, R1,
                 I2, R2
                          packets with
                                   another
                                   host, with address193.167.187.149, that I
                 don't know
                          but I guess
                                   maybe
                                   it's one of infrahip servers.

[...]