[hipl-users] Re: Problems with RVS

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:13:29 +0300

Hi,

why don't try plain IPv6 connectivity locally (without Teredo) with 3ffe::x/64 addresses? So that we know if it's about IPv6 or something HIP related.

On 10/14/2013 05:09 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:
Sorry, HIP over IPv6 didn't work.

Il giorno 14/ott/2013 16:04, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>> ha scritto:

    Hi Paola,

    what didn't work? Directly IPv6 or HIP-over-IPv6?

    On 10/14/2013 04:58 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

        Hi Miika,

        Yes, I did. But it didn't work.

        Il giorno 14/ott/2013 15:40, "Miika Komu" <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>> ha scritto:

             Hi Paola,

             it seems that you got HIP working with IPv4 locators. Did
        you try
             with two locally configured IPv6 locators (3ffe::x/64)?

             On 10/14/2013 02:13 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                 Hi Miika,

                 I checked and I think my site firewall isn't blocking
        Teredo
                 traffic.
                 Anyway this is the output:

                 paola@ubuntu:~$ dig -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>

                 ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
                 ;; global options: +cmd
                 ;; Got answer:
                 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0,
        ADDITIONAL: 0

                 ;; QUESTION SECTION:
                 ;www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>.
                             IN    AAAA

                 ;; ANSWER SECTION:
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>.
                         300    IN    AAAA
                 2a00:1450:4002:804::1010

                 ;; Query time: 165 msec
                 ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
                 ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 14 03:22:40 2013
                 ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

                 paola@ubuntu:~$ ping6 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                 PING 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68(2a00:____1450:4010:c04::68)
        56 data bytes
                 64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55
        time=371 ms
                 64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55
        time=110 ms
                 64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55
        time=110 ms
                 ^C
                 --- 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 ping statistics ---
                 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time
        2004ms
                 rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
        110.529/197.440/371.075/122.____778 ms

                 paola@ubuntu:~$ ip route get 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 from :: via
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 dev teredo
                 src 2001:0:53aa:64c:2cb6:3c14:____4367:467f  metric 0
                       cache

                 I also tried with your test machine:

                 paola@ubuntu:~$ ping6
        2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:____ad4a:8b91
                 PING

2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:____ad4a:8b91(2001:0:53aa:64c:____3026:52b2:ad4a:8b91)
                 56 data bytes
                 64 bytes from 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:____ad4a:8b91:
        icmp_seq=1
                 ttl=64
                 time=243 ms
                 64 bytes from 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:____ad4a:8b91:
        icmp_seq=2
                 ttl=64
                 time=112 ms
                 ^C
                 --- 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:____ad4a:8b91 ping
        statistics ---
                 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time
        1000ms

                 Then I tried in my network:

                 - with eth0 I got only I1 packet
                 - with Teredo I got "destination unreachable" error

                 And when I stopped ping6 there was 100% of packet loss.
        I also
                 tried to
                 edit manually the hosts files with different
        configuration but
                 the same
                 happened.

                 Thanks,

                 Paola

                 2013/10/12 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>

                      Hi Paola,

                      initially, Teredo traffic is forwarded through a
        Teredo
                 server to
                      guaranteee NAT traversal and then miredo software
        tries to
                 pinhole
                      the NAT. My guess is that your *site* firewall is
        blocking the
                      inital messages with the Teredo server. You can double
                 check this as
                      follows:

                      mkomu@bling:~$ dig -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>

                      ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> -t aaaa www.google.com
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
                      ;; global options: +cmd
                      ;; Got answer:
                      ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR,
        id: 12399
                      ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0,
                 ADDITIONAL: 0

                      ;; QUESTION SECTION:
                      ;www.google.com <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>
                 <http://www.google.com>.                        IN
                          AAAA

                      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
        www.google.com <http://www.google.com> <http://www.google.com>
        <http://www.google.com>.
                          214     IN      AAAA
                          2a00:1450:4010:c03::93

                      ;; Query time: 333 msec
                      ;; SERVER: 193.229.0.40#53(193.229.0.40)
                      ;; WHEN: Sat Oct 12 14:20:35 2013
                      ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

                      mkomu@bling:~$ ping6 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                      PING
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68(2a00:______1450:4010:c04::68) 56
                 data bytes
                      64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68: icmp_seq=1
        ttl=55
                 time=1363 ms
                      64 bytes from 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68: icmp_seq=2
        ttl=55
                 time=441 ms
                      ^C
                      --- 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 ping statistics ---
                      2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss,
        time 1000ms
                      rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
        441.913/902.595/1363.277/460.______682
                 ms, pipe 2
                      mkomu@bling:~$ ip route get 2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                      2a00:1450:4010:c04::68 from :: via
        2a00:1450:4010:c04::68
                 dev teredo
                      src 2001:0:53aa:64c:473:6a2c:ab19:______60e3  metric 0

                      If this does not work for you, it probably means
        that the
                 firewall
                      your site is blocking Teredo. You can contact your
        site
                      administrator to open the UDP port 3544.

                      You can also try the
                 2001:0:53aa:64c:3026:52b2:______ad4a:8b91 (my test
                      machine) which is actually behind a real NAT
        unlike the google
                      server. If you can reach google server, but not
        mine, it
                 most likely
                      means that either of us is using a
        p2p-incompatible NAT.

                      You can also try e.g. 3ffe::x/64 address space for
        local
                 experiments
                      in your local LAN (or WLAN). Just configure it to
        the eth0
                 (or other
                      device) for two machines and try pinging each other.

                      On 10/11/2013 09:03 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                          Hi Miika,

                          I uncommented the line "Bindport 3545" in file
                 miredo.conf as I
                          read on
                          the man page of miredo and checked ufw files
        for rules
                 blocking IPv6
                          traffic (I uncommented two about forwarding,
        the others
                 about
                          enabling
                          this traffic were already uncommented). Then I
        tried
                 ping6 the
                          locators
                          and I got the message: unknown host.
                          Also I tried manual set up with IPv4-based
        locators, as you
                          wrote me,
                          and my host exchanged HIP UPDATE and I1, R1,
        I2, R2
                 packets with
                          another
                          host, with address193.167.187.149, that I
        don't know
                 but I guess
                          maybe
                          it's one of infrahip servers.
                          Anyway, I am not sure I checked correctly for
        rules
                 about IPv6
                          traffic.
                          What should I do about this? Could all this
        problems be
                          connected also
                          with virtual machine net configuration? It is
        NAT by
                 default,
                          but there
                          are some other options.

                          Thanks for all the help you're giving to me.

                          Paola

                          2013/10/11 Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>
                          <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>
                 <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>>>>>

                               Hi Paola,

                               it seems your installation is fine. Base
        on my own
                          experiences, I
                               think that a middlebox (firewall) is
        blocking your
                 IPv6
                          traffic (in
                               the case of Teredo it's UDP port 3544).
        Did you try to
                          ping6 the
                               routable addresses (locators)?

                               I also recommend trying a manual set up with
                 IPv4-based
                          locators as
                               follows:

                               hipconf daemon rst all
                               hipconf daemon add map PEER_HIT
        PEER_IPV4_ADDRESS
                               ping6 PEER_HIT

                               On 10/10/2013 12:42 AM, Paola Venuso wrote:

                                   Hi Miika,

                                   hipd is running at the responder, the
        firewall
                 is not
                          blocking HIP
                                   traffic and I don't use redhat-based
        distro.
                                   This is the output of the commands
        from the
                 manual:

                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ dpkg -l 'hipl*'

        Desired=Unknown/Install/________Remove/Purge/Hold

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/________Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-__inst/______trig-aWait/Trig-__pend

                                   |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required
        (Status,Err:
                 uppercase=bad)
                                   ||/ Nome           Versione
        Descrizione

+++-==============-===========________===-====================__==__==__==__==================

                                   ii  hipl-all       1.0.8-6429     HIP for
                 Linux full
                          software bundle
                                   ii  hipl-daemon    1.0.8-6429     HIP for
                 Linux IPsec key
                                   management and
                                   mobil
                                   ii  hipl-dnsproxy  1.0.8-6429     HIP for
                 Linux name
                          lookup proxy
                                   ii  hipl-doc       1.0.8-6429     HIP
        for Linux
                          documentation
                                   ii  hipl-firewall  1.0.8-6429     HIP
        for Linux
                          multi-purpose
                                   firewall
                                   daemon
                                   un  hipl-minimal   <nessuna>
          (nessuna
                 descrizione
                          disponibile)
                                   un  hipl-tools     <nessuna>
          (nessuna
                 descrizione
                          disponibile)
                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ hipconf daemon get ha all
                                   Sending user message 22 to HIPD on
        socket 3
                                   Sent 40 bytes
                                   Waiting to receive daemon info.
                                   240 bytes received from HIP daemon.
                                   HA is I1-SENT
                                      Shotgun mode is off.
                                      Broadcast mode is off.
                                      Local HIT:
                 2001:0012:421d:99a0:005d:d60f:________73b0:4407
                                      Peer  HIT:
                 2001:001a:2a72:f01c:d98e:311c:________c76a:57c4

                                      Local LSI: 1.0.0.1
                                      Peer  LSI: 1.0.0.2
                                      Local IP:
                 2001:0000:53aa:064c:2cde:3e12:________4367:467f

                                      Local NAT traversal UDP port: 10500
                                      Peer  IP:
                 2001:0708:0140:0220:0000:0000:________0000:0016

                                      Peer  NAT traversal UDP port: 10500
                                      Peer  hostname:

------------------------------________------------------------__--__--__--__------------------__----__----__----__------------__------__------__------

                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
                                   Linux ubuntu 3.5.0-41-generic
                 #64~precise1-Ubuntu SMP
                          Thu Sep 12
                                   17:01:55 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386
        GNU/Linux
                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
                                   No LSB modules are available.
                                   Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
                                   Release:    12.04
                                   Codename:    precise

------------------------------________------------------------__--__--__--__------------------__----__----__----__------------__------__------__------

                                   paola@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/hip/hipd.conf
                                   # Format of this file is as with
        hipconf, but
                 without
                          "hipconf
                                   daemon"
                                   prefix
                                   # add hi default    # add all four
        HITs (see
                 bug id 592127)
                                   # add map HIT IP    # preload some
        HIT-to-IP
                 mappings
                          to hipd
                                   # add service rvs   # the host acts
        as HIP
                 rendezvous
                          (also see
                                   relay.conf)
                                   # add server rvs [RVS-HIT]
        <RVS-IP-OR-HOSTNAME>
                          <lifetime-secs> #
                                   register to rendezvous server
                                   # add server relay [RELAY-HIT]
                 <RVS-IP-OR-HOSTNAME>
                                   <lifetime-secs> #
                                   register to relay server
                                   # add server full-relay [RELAY-HIT]
                 <RVS-IP-OR-HOSTNAME>
                                   <lifetime-secs>
                                   # register to relay server
                                   hit-to-ip on # resolve HITs to
        locators in
                 dynamic DNS zone
                                   # hit-to-ip set
        hit-to-ip.infrahip.net <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.net>
                 <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.net__>
                          <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.__net__
        <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.net__>>
                                   <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.____net__
                 <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.__net__
        <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.net__>>>
                          <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.______net__
                          <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.____net__
                 <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.__net__
        <http://hit-to-ip.infrahip.net__>>>>.

                                   # resolve HITs to locators in dynamic
        DNS zone
                                   nsupdate on # send dynamic DNS updates
                                   # add server rvs hiprvs.infrahip.net
        <http://hiprvs.infrahip.net>
                 <http://hiprvs.infrahip.net>
                          <http://hiprvs.infrahip.net>
                                   <http://hiprvs.infrahip.net>
                          <http://hiprvs.infrahip.net> 50000

                                   # Register to free RVS at infrahip
                                   # heartbeat 10 # send ICMPv6 messages
        inside
                 HIP tunnels
                                   # locator on        # host sends all
        of its
                 locators in
                          base
                                   exchange
                                   # shotgun on # use all possible
        src/dst IP
                 combinations
                          to send
                                   I1/UPDATE
                                   # broadcast on # broadcast to LAN if no
                 matching IP
                          address found
                                   # opp normal|advanced|none
                                   # transform order 213 # crypto preference
                 order (1=AES,
                          2=3DES,
                                   3=NULL)
                                   nat plain-udp       # use UDP

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]