[hipl-users] Re: Problems with RVS

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:08:31 +0300

Hi Paola,

I recommend trying out the latest version because the last release is rather old. There's even binaries for (almost) the latest version.

Then, I recommend trying out direct communications between two hosts (and play around with RVS after this). Can you get the following work directly between two hosts:

  ping PEER_IPV4_ADDR
  hipconf daemon add map PEER_HIT PEER_IPV4_ADDR
  ping6 PEER_HIT

If you can get this working, you can try out more complex configurations.

P.S. Yes, you can use also IPv6 addresses (such as 3ffe::xx/64 in local network) and Teredo works too.

On 10/07/2013 07:52 PM, Paola Venuso wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to test the RVS service. I'm using one of the two test
servers indicated in the manual
(http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/HOWTO.html#ch_test_servers) and the
configuration of the manual too. Also I installed hipl release 1.0.7 and
I'm using two virtual machines with ubuntu 12.04.
The registration of the responder seems ok (wireshark shows it), but
when I try to communicate with the responder from the initiator, using
netcat, an error message occurs. The message says: address unreachable.

I configured the initiator hosts files as follows:
in /etc/hosts : RVS_IP   RESPONDER_NAME
in /etc/hip/hosts : RESPONDER_HIT RESPONDER_NAME

I run hipd on both and then at the responder I started the registration
with: hipconf daemon add service rvs RESPONDER_HIT  RVS_IP  LIFETIME_SECONDS
After registration I run:  nc6 -l -p 1234
while at the initiator: nc6 RESPONDERNAME 1234
But when I tried to type and send something the previously written error
message occurred.

Also I tried with teredo addresses, as the manual says in HIP NAT
traversal section, but the initiator couldn't send the I1 packet. Using
wireshark I noticed that after the initiator tried to send the packet,
it received a message of unreachable destination.

Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe am I just missing some steps?

Thanks in advance,

Paola