[hipl-users] Re: LSI functionality in HIPL

  • From: Stephen Herborn <stephen.herborn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 00:26:50 +1000

Would you be interested in making the LSIs work in the HIP daemon and contributing the code?

Sounds like fun, maybe will have a go over the (european) winter if its not done (and still necessary) by then.

  * Most commonly used applications already seem to support IPv6
    addressing

True. However we were looking at trying to use tcpcp (tcp connection passing) in combination with HIPL to implement a simple tcp session mobility scheme, problem is tcpcp is ipv4 only. Someone has recently ported tcpcp to ipv6 but not released it yet, so it would be a waste of time to port it ourselves.

  * We have been investigating if we can do some socket wrapping in the
    userspace, similarly as in TESLA [1]

A potential really-bad-hack to let ipv4 applications use HIP might be to create a null encrypted (local) tunnel mode IPSec session between the application and the hip daemon at both ends, with the 'inner' addresses as the ipv4 address of the respective src and dst and the 'outer' addresses as the respective src and dst HITs. This assumes (most probably incorrectly) that it is possible to have the 'inner' src-dst address pair as a different protocol from the 'outer' src-dst pair. Apart from the need for explicit static configuration of ipv4 addresses, and the possibility that available IPsec tools may not support 'inner' and 'outer' tunnel addresses of different protocols, is there any reason that *something like this* should not work in theory? Hope I'm not displaying total ignorance of the basics here.

E.g. what I have in mind:
1. IPv4 Application --> IPv4(src=ipv4_oops, dst=ipv4_crash) --> IPSec tunnel
2. IPSec tunnel --> IPv6(src=hit_oops, dst=hit_crash, {IPv4(...)}) --> IPSec beet mode (HIP)
3. IPsec beet mode (HIP) --> IPv6(src=ipv6_oops, dst=ipv6_crash, {IPv4(...)}) --> eth0

{...} denotes encrypted payload

\steve