[hipl-users] HIP for IPv4 tunneling over IPv6

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:07:34 -0400

I have been fighting the wrong battle via-a-vis IPv6 app availablity. Instead of trying every possible app for something for IPv6 functionality, if the 'main' app does do IPv6, what are LSIs for anyway????

Question is only how to get the connectivity to work write, and does the code base support this.

The server only has an IPv6 address, so the resolver will return this address (from /etc/hosts or AAAA record in DNS). But the app only understands IPv4 addresses, so HIP needs to insert itself and return the LSI. The app happily then connects to the server; HIP does its exchange, etc.

There seems almost to be some magic here. I know it is not working 'simply', as VNC only supports IPv4. The server is bound to 0.0.0.0 (should I change it to bind to the LSI?). The app is run by:

hipconf run normal vncviewer server.test:5902

All I see in the tcpdump is an I1 and I2. No R1. Why? This should work, right????

Meanwhile, there is vtun. I should be able to run that over HIP over IPv6 and deliver IPv4 tunnel connectivity, but it should not be needed....