[hipl-users] Got RADVD prefix changing working, but without hipfw

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: miika.komu@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:15:26 -0400

I have been poking radvd to figure out how to get prefix changes as I
move my notebooks from one vlan to another, without any success.  I even
asked for help from our networking experts within Verizon, but their
experience was limited, and had not worked on systems (other than Vista)
moving between networks.

So with a bit of googling I found:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/hints-daemons-radvd.html

and following 21.4.1.2. Special 6to4 configuration, I got:

interface eth1.16 {
      AdvSendAdvert on;
      MinRtrAdvInterval 3;
      MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;
      prefix 2607:f4b8:3:3::/64 {
              AdvOnLink off;
              AdvAutonomous on;
              AdvRouterAddr on;
              AdvPreferredLifetime 20;
              AdvValidLifetime 30;
      };
};

And this works.  I move the cable from one switch port (vlan 16) to
another (vlan 17) and 1st the system gains the new address, then it
looses the old.  I move it back and it regains the original address then
looses the old.  Just like I need to test mobilty.

Timings are not super tight, for determining how little interuption to a
SIP call would occur with this sort of activity.

Why do it on a physical port?  Well get the 'theory' working first
before I set up a couple of wireless APs on different vlans and see how
it works as I roam from one to another.