[hipl-users] Re: Forcing conntest to use IPv6

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:51:16 -0500

Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

So with only HI RR, nothing in local host files, you HAVE to run hipdnsproxy to use conntest-client-hip, as it does not have the code that has been added to hipdnsproxy (I see a lib call coming on).

Yes.

So with hipdnsproxy providing both HITs and LSIs, conntest seems to be using the LSI, or that is what the debug message reported.

conntest-client-hip actually calls getaddrinfo with AF_UNSPEC but libinet6 library implementation handles this by querying separately for AAAA and A records instead of just ANY. Libinet6 inserts the A record (LSI) in as the first element of the getaddrinfo() result and the conntest loops through the returned addresses in the returned order.

At least ssh and firefox seem to prefer IPv6 addresses because they are using unmodified glibc with standard getaddrinfo().

Can I force conntest to use only IPv6 and thus ignore the LSI from hipdnsproxy?

Currently there is no command line option for this but this can be accomplished by changing the AF_UNPSEC to AF_INET6 in test/conntest.c:main_client_gai().

I don't know how important it is for you to make this particular test tool to behave exactly as you wish. Perhaps the flag in dnsproxy is better?

Yes, The dnsproxy flag is the better way to go.