[hipl-users] DNS and hipdnsproxy questions

  • From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:39:41 -0500

Yeah! I have my own IPv6 DNS server up and running, with my own tld for my testing.

I found lots of stumbling blocks along the way. BIND options that were not there. Firewall rules that firewalled too much, or kernel that did not support stateful IPv6 firewall rules.

But just a few minutes ago, I ran 'yum update' to pull in the most recent rpms from my local repo with both the DNS lookup and yum being completely restricted to using IPv6.

So now I have to add the HITs (and HIs?) to DNS.

I have looked a bit at http://infrahip.hiit.fi/hipl/manual/ch28.html, and will start testing it.

But I am running ISC BIND 9.3.4, and need to put what I need into it.

Of course I will still need hipdnsproxy for the v4 apps I will be running via LSIs over my HIP v6 connections (like TightVNC), so I need to understand better what hipdnsproxy is doing to /etc/resolv.conf. Why sometimes it is pointing to 127.0.0.1 and sometimes to 127.0.0.53? Where did my 'real' resolv.conf disappear to so it can do the lookup against my DNS server?

Thanks!