[hipl-users] Re: BEET Patch

  • From: Diego Beltrami <Diego.Beltrami@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:25:45 +0200

Quoting fmoreira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Hello all,
> I've been testing OpenHIP and i'm going to start some tests with hipl, so
> i'll
> be dropping by a lot.
> For starters, just one question:
>
> I didn't understand the differences between all the beet patches listed on
> infrahip.hiit.fi/beet/
> Can any one point me to any document explaining the differences?

Basically the BEET patch consist in two incremental patches.
The first patch to be applied is the simple one and the second one is the
interfamily.
Therefore if you would like to patch Linux kernel 2.6.13.1 you first apply
simple-beet-patch-v1.0-2.6.13.1
and then
interfamily-beet-patch-v1.0-2.6.13.1

The main difference between these two patches is that the former supports the
same families between inner and outer addresses (as a result the only allowed
cases are inner=outer=IPv4 and inner=outer=IPv6), whereas the latter supports
also the cross-family transformation.
The reason why we created incremental patches is due to requirements from Linux
community.

Please notice that the latest beet draft is not fully support and only the
simple patch is provided: the latest draft specifies how to handle the IPv4

As a result I would recommend to use the patches named:
simple-beet-patch-v1.0-2.6.XX.YY
interfamily-beet-patch-v1.0-2.6.XX.YY

(where the XX.YY determine the version of the Linux kernel to be patched).

Cheers,

--
Diego