[highland-discuss] Home Invasion

  • From: "Rucker, Ronald" <ronald.rucker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "<highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:38:49 +0000

Thank you Tiffany and all others that dialed 911!!!! I'm so glad that this guy
was caught!!!

Ron

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 11, 2015, at 6:30 PM, Tiffany Harlow
<tiffany.harlow@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:tiffany.harlow@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ron,

I was one of the neighbors who called police prior to your break in. The perp
spooked me as I was heading out to get gas when he crossed over my garage in my
driveway from my front door. I pulled out and went to dumpster but continued
to watch him. He kept lurking around driveways and tried to hide out in the
pathway near the air conditioners. When I noticed gloves in his hands, I
called 911. By the time I got back from gas they had him in back of car but
unfortunately not before he had a chance to get in the back of your unit.
Luckily others noticed him too and made calls as well. I am so sorry that
happened to you. I have a similar unit and would freak if someone was on my
back deck.

I work at the DA's office and will be following up with APD this week about the
case because I talked to the officers who said they were only going to charge
him with Criminal Attempt to Commit Burglary. I suggested they also charge him
with Criminal Trespass for the damage to your window as well as Loitering and
Prowling. He is 19 years old and ID was from Alabama. If I can get a photo I
will and pass it along to the board.

Another thing I will be following up on is fact that they listed one of the 911
calls (probably mine) as a low priority call which upsets me. The officer told
me they were able to get here quick but based on that low priority category
they normally would not have gotten here fast. I was hesitant to call at first
because I did not know if maybe he lived here or was a guest but when I noticed
the gloves, it was obvious he didn't belong. If you see something suspicious,
err on the side of caution. This could have ended badly without our vigilant
neighbors and immediate action.

Tiffany Harlow, Esq.
tiffany.harlow@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:tiffany.harlow@xxxxxxxxx>
404-931-5567

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Rucker, Ronald
<ronald.rucker@xxxxxxx<mailto:ronald.rucker@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
Unit Invasion Alert:

My unit was just broken into. Thank God Police did catch the suspect!!!! I’m
safe but a little shaken! He entered my unit by breaking a patio window to my
back office. My deck/patio overlooks freedom parkway. The police are in front
of my unit right now with the perpetrator sitting in the police car. I just
want to make all of you aware! I’m glad that some other alert neighbors had
seen this guy jumping the fence from one unit to another and dialed the police
even before I called 911. As I was on the phone with the 911 operator, the
police were already out front. The quick response time led to this guy being
apprehended!!

Ron Rucker
Unit 805

From:
highland-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:highland-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Vadim Kovynev <vkovynev@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:vkovynev@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 07/20/2015 10:33 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [highland-discuss] Re: Mailbox System In Disrepair

Yep. I heard them. Sounded like a 45.

Sent from my Sprint phone

From: ant gillett <ant.gillett@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:ant.gillett@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 07/19/2015 9:44 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:highland-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone know if the mailbox issue been sorted?
On Jul 19, 2015 4:39 AM, "William Hauser"
<wm.hauser@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:wm.hauser@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
All,
It seems our mailboxes are near the end of their useful life. I can only speak
of the first panel on the left side of the alcove, which I believe covers units
101-401. On a monthly (if not weekly) basis, the master door for this panel of
boxes is left either partially or fully unlatched by the mailman/woman --
leaving that group of 20+ mailboxes unsecured. This may be due to the
inattentiveness of the postal employee. But I believe the larger issue is that
these mailbox units are simply wearing out from years of metal-on-metal wear,
with apparently no lubrication, making it difficult (if not impossible) to
adequately secure. And keep in mind, I'm not talking about individual mailboxes
left unlocked by their owners (as we often see). I'm talking about the master
panel, which if left unlocked leaves 20+ boxes unsecured.

I have called the postmaster at the post office which services our community
when mailbox panels have been left unsecured in the past, but that's not a very
efficient way to deal with this ongoing, monthly or weekly problem --
especially if the problem is discovered at night, or on a holiday or weekend
(like this weekend).

I have also noticed the panel containing the outgoing mail as well as mailboxes
for large packages to be in bad shape. Again, sometimes the outgoing mail door
is left unsecured, and also the locks on the mailboxes for large packages don't
work as intended (they're simply worn out it seems).

Bottom line: can either Dennis or the Board research the feasibility of
replacing our mailbox system? With ID theft and credit card fraud as rampant as
it is now, it's a little unnerving to find 20+ mailboxes unsecured on a fairly
regular basis. If there are folks looking for unlocked car doors in our
community, there are no doubt others checking for unsecured mailboxes.

The link below is admittedly an example of an extreme case -- and we are
nowhere near this point -- but USPS stopped delivering to the complex mentioned
in this news story, which meant the tenants had to retrieve their mail from a
nearby post office instead of their mailbox. What a pain. And while the
mailboxes mentioned in the article suffered more from vandalism than normal
wear & tear, the result is the same: unsecured mail and ultimately a delivery
stoppage. All I'm saying is let's address the problem and be done with it.
Things wear out, and that's why we pay maintenance fees.
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/decatur/2015/07/14/decatur-missing-mail/30158449/

Thanks in advance.

Bill Hauser
wm.hauser@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:wm.hauser@xxxxxxxxx>

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary,
privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for
the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and
delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual
or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.