[HIFIS3 LIST] Hifis ACER #: 01614 Occupancy Inaccurate In Hps >>> Completed

  • From: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <coordinator@xxxxxxxx>, <hifis-sisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:36:14 -0500

Category:  Report: Fix / Reports

Originator:  Harrison, Pamela

Issue
I was at Chrysalis House yesterday, doing some training, and I ran a couple of
reports using their real data. I have a concern around how the HPS data Tools
report indicates "occupancy."  Their occupancy rate showed at 14% which of
course I knew right away was not accurate.

The module in the HPS Data Tools Report gives the following information:

Occupancy Rate

Total #  Beds in shelter

Total # of possible bed nights

Average Number of Beds Used Each Night in Shelter

Number of Days in Reporting in Period

Total Number of Bed Nights Used

Occupancy  Rate

It is very seldom that an occupancy rate is based on the number of real actual
beds in a shelter. The occupancy rate in VAW shelters and homeless shelters in
NS is based on the # of funded beds and/or the # of beds allowed under the
Occupational health and Safety regulations.

In the case of Chrysalis House, their funded bed number is 15. The actual
number of beds in their HIFIS configuration is 23. The extra beds constitute
the following:

Cribs

Rollaway cots

A coach

A sofa bed

Those beds need to be there, and can't be activated, de-activated on a daily
basis for the following reasons:

The regular beds are single/twins for women, and children old enough to use
that kind of bed. There are four rooms with four beds each. If a family of a
mom and four children come in, they would at least need one more bed, and they
may use one of the cots and one of the cribs, and not all the regular beds
If "occupancy" is based on the number of beds in the shelter, how would you
ever determine occupancy of over 100%, which is the case in one of the men's
shelters here and two of the VAW shelters

To give an example:

Let's suppose we have a 30 day month in a shelter with 20 beds.

·         # of beds: 20

·         # of possible bed nights: 600

·         Number of days in reporting period: 30

·         # of bed nights used: 534

·         Occupancy Rate: 89%

Now let's change that scenario:

·         # of actual beds in HIFIS configuration: 23

·         # of possible bed nights: 690

·         Number of days in reporting period: 30

·         # of bed nights used: 534

·         Occupancy Rate: 77.39 %

That is a significant difference

Here's another scenario: (supposing that all 23 beds are full, even though
funded capacity is 20 beds)

·         # of Funded beds: 20

·         # of possible bed nights(for funded beds): 600

·         Number of days in reporting period: 30

·         # of bed nights used: 690

·         Occupancy Rate: 115 %

This scenario properly shows an occupancy rate of 115%, which would never show
in the formula used in the HPS data Tools Report.

Is anyone else having a problem with this? How can we use the HPS Data Tool
Report here in NS, which is the only HIFIS report to indicate occupancy, when
it doesn't respond to our actual occupancy formula?

Another question - just curious here - although we don't have "Family" shelters
in NS (i.e., shelters that will take a family of two adults and children)  I
wonder how you count a couple sleeping in a double bed in an occupancy rate
?????

Solution:
Fixed

Assigned to: Abbott, Jason