[HIFIS3 LIST] Re: Hifis ACER #: 01548 New Value For Conflict Intensity >>> Completed

  • From: "Pamela Harrison, THANS Coordinator" <coordinator@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hifis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lyne.maisonneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis-sisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:02:11 -0300

Hi, Lyne:

We base our risk and probability assessments on three things:

1. self-assessment by client (based on history of client with abuser)
2. Our assessment based on facts, visual violence, length of relationship (
we use a DAT [ danger assessment tool developed by Dr. Jacqueline Campbell
at Harvard,] and most shelters uses similar assessment tools. Our policing
services use the Ontario Domestic Assault Risk Assessment [ODARA]
2. High risk designation by Department of Justice

If we don't have the expertise to assess the risk, then who does?   And the
other issue here is, if the risk and probability is not definable, why is
the conflict relationship set up at all?

Pamela
Pamela Harrison, Coordinator
Transition House Association of Nova Scotia
319-1657 Barrington St
Halifax, NS B3J 2A1
1-902-429-7287 (phone)
1-902-429-0561 (fax)
coordinator@xxxxxxxx
http://www.thans.ca

"Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no
concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles
have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions ...for
safety on the streets, for child care, for social welfare...for rape crisis
clinics, women's refuges, reforms in the laws. If someone says, "Oh, I'm not
a feminist!", I ask, "Why? What's your problem?"

~Dale Spender ~ For The Record: The Making and Meaning of Feminist Knowledge