[HIFIS3 LIST] Hifis ACER #: 01451 New Housing Type >>> Completed

  • From: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kkawakam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis-sisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <henryd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:44:13 -0400

Category:  Change Request / Admin / Lookups

Originator:  Kawakami, Karen

Issue:
Could a Last Housing Type lookup value of "band-owned housing" be added?

Solution:
Suzanne: I would not use "band" it is old terminology and is not generic as it
specifically is short for "Indian Band" which is no longer a politically
correct way to refer to First Nation Communities. Depending on where you live
across the country some communities may not take offence to being referred to
as a "band" or "Indian Band" in the west you will have offended the First
Nations. We have moved away from the use of "bands", "Indian Bands" and
"reserves" to the extent where the Province's road signs use the wording "First
Nation".

If you are wanting to use a generic term then "Aboriginal owned housing" is the
way to go.

Done.

As of Version: 3.72.2144