[HIFIS3 LIST] Hifis ACER #: 01413 Date / Cause Of Death Fields >>> In Development

  • From: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <shelteral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <suzanne.dorma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis-sisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <henryd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:18:24 -0500

Category:  Change Request / Operations / Clients

Originator:  Mitchell, Al

Issue:
Discussions with Lookout Emergency Aid Society resulted in the following
request, the data is used by researchers.
Addition of an Approximate Deceased Date and Reason for Death fields to HIFIS
possibly in the Vitals screen.

Al, do you have a list of "Reasons for Death" currently or collected in past
you could share with me? I would like to add them to my request. I looked at
your spreadsheet but could not find any.

We'll have to look at this and decide on a list of values if it is added to
HIFIS. My thoughts are to keep the list very simple i.e.
Natural Causes
Unnatural Suicide
Unnatural Health Issue
Unnatural Substance Abuse
Unknown

Maybe a really simple solution is to have a Deceased check box on the Vitals
screen and not include and Approximate Date or Reason for Death. The Deceased
check box could also be tied to the Activate/Deactivate function. Your
thoughts? Is the approximate date important? Maybe just the Approximate Date as
you currently collect?

From the information you provided I think including the approximate date is
very relevant. We'll have to see what happens as to whether or not the field
will make it into HIFIS 3.

Al: We use an `approximate date' as again we may not get exact details, and we
may be hearing of the person's death from others who will say `last week' vs an
exact date (most of our folks don't make it into the obit pages)

The useful of that date though has been where we have seen unusual patterns
(eg, when there have been a surge in OD's) which then let us feed into some
policy discussions, or it can enable us to use the `deceased' as an outcome in
evaluating services particularly over long periods.  We used this to good
effect for instance in evaluating Outreach services some years back when we
were able to see that the mortality rates for people from the DTES were 10%
lower when shelter stays were followed by Outreach services vs just whatever
happened.  At least know the approximate date can establish a temporal relation
between the points in time we serve people and this outcome.

I would certainly favor something simple on causes as you suggest.

Karen: What I am required to report for reasons for death by the health
authority is:

Unexpected death
Suicide
Physical illness (would include cancer, pneumonia, etc.)
Drug overdose
Disease outbreak
Motor vehicle accident
Medication error
Refusing treatment (we added this to our reportables, as two deaths over 5
years have been because of this).

What we wanted to add:

Chronic health condition (would include AIDS, lung disease, cancer, etc.)

Solution:
Fields added. Still need to finalize list of reasons of death.

Assigned to: Dagher, Henry