Japan ATC 3/11/11 - Tsunami

  • From: WH <eyesoar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hhsc1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:07:24 -0400

   Here is first person account from a Delta pilot on a  trans-Pacific
   flight toTokyo.

One of many "grommet twitchers" on *Flying into**Japan**'s earthquake*

                I'm currently still in one piece, writing from my room
                in the Narita crew hotel.
                It's8am. This is my inaugural trans-pacific trip as a
                brand new, recently
                checked out, international 767 Captain and it has been
                interesting, to say the
                least, so far. I've crossed theAtlanticthree times so
                far so the ocean
                crossing procedures were familiar.

                By the way, stunning scenery flying over theAleutian
                Islands. Everything was
                going fine until 100 miles out fromTokyoand in the
                descent for arrival. The
                first indication of any trouble was thatJapanair
                traffic control started
                putting everyone into holding patterns. At first we
                thought it was usual
                congestion on arrival. Then we got a company data link
                message advising about
                the earthquake, followed by another stating Narita
                airport was temporarily
                closed for inspection and expected to open shortly
                (the company is always so
                positive).

                From our perspective things were obviously looking a
                little different. The
                Japanese controller's anxiety level seemed quite high
                and he said expect
                "indefinite" holding time. No one would commit to a
                time frame on that so I got
                my copilot and relief pilot busy looking at divert
                stations and our fuel
                situation, which, after an ocean crossing is typically
                low.

                It wasn't long, maybe ten minutes, before the first
                pilots started requesting
                diversions to other airports. AirCanada, American,
                United, etc. all reporting
                minimal fuel situations. I still had enough fuel for
                1.5 to 2.0 hours of
                holding. Needless to say, the diverts started
                complicating the situation.

                Japanair traffic control then announced Narita was
                closed indefinitely due to
                damage. Planes immediately started requesting arrivals
                into Haneada, nearTokyo,
                a half dozen JAL and western planes got clearance in
                that direction but then ATC
                announced Haenada had just closed. Uh oh! Now instead
                of just holding, we all
                had to start looking at more distant alternatives
                likeOsaka, orNagoya.

                One bad thing about a large airliner is that you can't
                just be-pop into any
                little airport. We generally need lots of runway. With
                more planes piling in
                from both east and west, all needing a place to land
                and several now fuel
                critical ATC was getting over-whelmed. In the
                scramble, and without waiting for
                my fuel to get critical, I got my flight a clearance
                to head forNagoya, fuel
                situation still okay. So far so good. A few minutes
                into heading that way, I was
                "ordered" by ATC to reverse course.Nagoyawas saturated
                with traffic and unable
                to handle more planes (read- airport full). Ditto
                forOsaka.

                With that statement, my situation went instantly from
                fuel okay, to fuel minimal
                considering we might have to divert a much farther
                distance. Multiply my
                situation by a dozen other aircraft all in the same
                boat, all making demands
                requests and threats to ATC for clearances somewhere.
                AirCanadaand then
                someone else went to "emergency" fuel situation.
                Planes started to heading for
                air force bases. The nearest toTokyowas Yokoda AFB. I
                threw my hat in the ring
                for that initially. The answer - Yokoda closed! no
                more space.

                By now it was a three ring circus in the cockpit, my
                copilot on the radios, me
                flying and making decisions and the relief copilot
                buried in the air charts
                trying to figure out where to go that was within range
                while data link messages
                were flying back and forth between us and company
                dispatch inAtlanta. I picked
                Misawa AFB at the north end ofHonshuisland. We could
                get there with minimal
                fuel remaining. ATC was happy to get rid of us so we
                cleared out of the
                maelstrom of theTokyoregion. We heard ATC try to send
                planes towardSendai, a
                small regional airport on the coast which was later
                the one I think that got
                flooded by a tsunami.

                Atlantadispatch then sent us a message asking if we
                could continue to Chitose
                airport on theIslandofHokkaido, north ofHonshu. Other
                Delta planes were
                heading that way. More scrambling in the cockpit -
                check weather, check charts,
                check fuel, okay. We could still make it and not be
                going into a fuel critical
                situation ... if we had no other fuel delays. As we
                approached Misawa we got
                clearance to continue to Chitose. Critical decision
                thought process. Let's see -
                trying to help company - plane overflies perfectly
                good divert airport for one
                farther away...wonder how that will look in the safety
                report, if anything goes
                wrong.

                Suddenly ATC comes up and gives us a vector to a fix
                well short of Chitose and
                tells us to standby for holding instructions.
                Nightmare realized. Situation
                rapidly deteriorating. After initially holding
                nearTokyo, starting a divert to
                Nagoya, reversing course back toTokyothen to
                re-diverting north toward Misawa,
                all that happy fuel reserve that I had was vaporizing
                fast. My subsequent
                conversation, paraphrased of course...., went
                something like this:

                "Sapparo Control - Delta XX requesting immediate
                clearance direct to Chitose,
                minimum fuel, unable hold."

                "Negative Ghost-Rider, the Pattern is full" <<< top
                gun quote <<<

                "Sapparo Control - make that - Delta XX declaring
                emergency, low fuel,
                proceeding direct Chitose"

                "Roger Delta XX, understood, you are cleared direct to
                Chitose, contact Chitose
                approach....etc...."

                Enough was enough, I had decided to preempt actually
                running critically low on
                fuel while in another indefinite holding pattern,
                especially after bypassing
                Misawa, and played my last ace...declaring an
                emergency. The problem with that
                is now I have a bit of company paperwork to do but
                what the heck.

                As it was - landed Chitose, safe, with at least 30
                minutes of fuel remaining
                before reaching a "true" fuel emergency situation.
                That's always a good feeling,
                being safe. They taxied us off to some remote parking
                area where we shut down
                and watched a half dozen or more other airplanes come
                streaming in. In the end,
                Delta had two 747s, my 767 and another 767 and a 777
                all on the ramp at Chitose.
                We saw two American airlines planes, a United and two
                AirCanadaas well. Not to
                mention several extra Al Nippon and Japan Air Lines
                planes.

                Post-script - 9 hours later,Japanair lines finally got
                around to getting a
                boarding ladder to the plane where we were able to get
                off and clear customs. -
                that however, is another interesting story.

                By the way - while writing this - I have felt four
                additional tremors that shook
                the hotel slightly - all in 45 minutes.

                Cheers,

                J.D.