[hellogcc] Fwd: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

  • From: Mingjie Xing <mingjie.xing@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hellogcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:04:51 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diego Novillo <dnovillo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2012/4/4
Subject: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8
To: gcc <gcc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
抄送: Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx>, Lawrence Crowl <crowl@xxxxxxxxxx>

We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by default.

The mechanics of the change are simple enough.  I volunteer to test
changing the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them
from the GCC build farm).

Concurrently with this, Lawrence and Ian are working on the C++ coding
guidelines.  The draft is stored at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CppConventions.  They will be sending an
update in the next few days.  The idea is to hash out the details on
the wiki and then produce a patch to
http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html.

While these two changes are independent, it probably makes sense to
first have agreement on an initial set of coding conventions before we
switch the default.

I expect that coding conventions will evolve quite a bit in the next
few months, so we should do the switch after the first patch to
codingconventions.html is approved and installed.  A reasonable
initial version of this should cover the core language features that
allow implementing basic conversions (for instance, those that would
allow re-implementing vec.h).

I would like to avoid discussions to drag on indefinitely.  But, given
the magnitude of these changes, I suppose that it may take a few days
to hash it out.  Therefore, I propose that:

- For the coding conventions, we have the explicit approval of at
least 4 global reviewers.
- For the build changes, approval from a build maintainer should be enough.

Thanks.  Diego.