[HEALTH.MIL] New TRICARE Prime Enrollees Pay Adjusted Annual Fees

  • From: HEALTH.MIL Mailing List
  • To: <HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:00:18 -0500

New TRICARE Prime Enrollees Pay Adjusted Annual Fees
From a Defense Department News Release

WASHINGTON, Sept. 30, 2011 - Military retirees enrolling in the TRICARE Prime
health plan after Oct. 1 will begin paying slightly higher annual fees, Pentagon
officials announced yesterday.

The fee change for fiscal 2012 means the plan will cost $260 per year for
members and $520 per year for members and family.

The increase amounts to an additional $2.50 per month for individual members and
$5 per month for members and family, officials said. Active duty service members
receive health care with no out-of-pocket costs.

Annual fees for retirees enrolled in TRICARE Prime prior to the Oct. 1 change
will remain at $230 and $460 until Oct. 1, 2012, officials said. Retirees in
Tricare PRIME have a catastrophic cap of $3,000, and TRICARE Prime co-pays are
not changing, they added.

"We are committed to offering the best possible health care system for our
entire military family," said Dr. Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of
defense for health affairs. "This modest annual fee increase allows us to
responsibly manage our costs in line with other Secretary of Defense initiatives
announced earlier this year."

Survivors of active duty deceased sponsors and medically retired services
members and their dependents will be exempt from an annual increase, effective
from the time they renew their enrollment or first enroll in TRICARE Prime,
officials said, noting that the TRICARE benefit is among the nation's most
affordable health care plans. All service members, military retirees and their
eligible family members have TRICARE benefits regardless of prior health

"The department is committed to maintaining the same unique health care
protection we have always offered our warriors, both current and retired,"
Woodson said. "To sustain our military health system we are working hard to
streamline, become more efficient, and achieve cost savings. Together, we can
manage our costs responsibly and continue to provide care for our service
members, retirees and their families."
Related Sites:
TRICARE Web Site:  Information About TRICARE Prime Enrollment Fees

SOURCE:  American Forces Press Service News Release at

== HEALTH.MIL Mailing List ==

1.  The following options may be used to join\leave this mailing list:

    a.  ONLINE OPTION:  Online subscription\unsubscription options are
available at:

    b.  E-MAIL OPTION:  Subscription\unsubscription may be performed by sending
an E-Mail message to the following address:

        (1)  To subscribe to this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to
HEALTH.MIL-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' as the subject.

        (2)  To unsubscribe, send an E-Mail message to
HEALTH.MIL-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' as the subject.

2.  If the above subscribe or unsubscribe procedures don't work or if you have
questions, comments, etc., about this mailing list, please contact