[HEALTH.MIL] Coburn, McCain Sway Senate To Bigger Military Prescription Fees

  • From: HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <TFL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:14:50 -0600

NOTICE:  If you wish to view\post comments about the following article or
contact Mr Philpott or contact your elected officials, please read the NOTES at
the bottom of this message.  Thanks!

Coburn, McCain sway Senate to bigger military prescription fees

By Tom Philpott

Published: December 6, 2012

Late-hour speeches by Republican Sens. Tom Coburn (Okla.) and John McCain
(Ariz.) on runaway military health costs led the Senate Tuesday to shelve a
defense bill amendment that would have spared family members and retirees more
burdensome co-pays on drug prescriptions filled off base.

The timing of their opposition, in the last hours of consideration of the 2013
defense authorization bill when amendments were only being approved by unanimous
consent, allowed Coburn and McCain to block the Senate from supporting the
softer House-passed plan for raising prescription fees.

There will be a second chance next week when House-Senate conferees iron out
differences in separate versions of the defense bill.  But Coburn and McCain,
using fresh scoring of costs from the Congressional Budget Office, were able to
raise new doubts among some senators over the long-term cost implications of
adopting the House plan.

"This is paid for, but it is smoke and mirrors," Coburn told colleagues on the
Senate floor.  "We have used a trick.that will require [more funding for] the
health account.which means we will not have $1.7 billion for naval exercises,
for flight training, for tank training, for range training."

That challenge got a strong endorsement from McCain, ranking Republican on the
armed services committee, who repeated Robert Gate's words as defense secretary
in 2010 that health costs "are eating us alive."

"We are going to have to find ways to bring these costs under control and still,
at the same time, provide our veterans with the benefits they have earned,"
McCain said, in arguing against the House plan which was presented as an
amendment from Sens. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Claire
McCaskill (D-Mo.).

McCain attacked the notion that raising fees would harm readiness.

"I know of no one who joined the military because of TRICARE, [though] I hear
[it] from all the retirees.I have not yet met a single 18-year-old, including my
own son who joined the Marine Corps, who said: 'Gee, I want to join the Marine
Corps because of TRICARE.'

"No," McCain continued, "they joined.to serve their country.  They understand
our obligation to them is not to hand them a bankrupt Defense Department [where]
all the costs are in things such as TRICARE and retirement benefits.so we can't
provide them with what they need to fight."

The reality is that pharmacy co-pays will rise this spring for family members
and retirees.  By how much will be determined by a House-Senate conference
committee that will be meeting next week behind closed doors.

The Senate defense bill, passed 98 to 0, now has no language to block or alter
the Obama administration's drug co-pay plan.  Under it, drugs dispensed on base
would stay free, and co-pays for generics in retail outlets would remain $5.
But co-pays for brand names at retail on the military formulary would jump to
$26 from $12.  Non-formulary drugs, which cost TRICARE more, would no longer be
dispensed at retail, only through mail order.  Co-pays for brand names at mail
order would pop to $26 from $9, but mail order prescriptions usually are for 90
days versus 30 at retail.

The administration also wants co-pays adjusted by $2 annually until they reach
$34 in 2016.  After that, the pharmacy fees off base would be adjusted annually
to keep pace with medical inflation.

The House plan, which military associations helped to design, allows more modest
initial increases in drug fees and would tie annual increases thereafter to the
percentage rise in military retired pay.  This plan would at least match health
cost savings of the administration's plan by requiring elderly beneficiaries to
use mail order to refill maintenance drugs, at least for a year.  The
expectation is that seniors will like the convenience and stay with mail order,
saving TRICARE billions of dollars yearly in retail drug costs.

But a Senate source said Coburn and McCain were able to derail the amendment so
easily because the Congressional Budget Office had found it would cost a lot
more money than expected after 10 years if adjustments stayed tied to retiree
COLAs rather than medical inflation.  To address this, advocates agreed to have
the COLA link sunset after 10 years.  But Senate leaders chose instead to avoid
further action on the amendment.

Steve Strobridge, director of government relations for Military Officers
Association of America, said the Senate seemed primed to adopt the House-passed
plan until, suddenly, it fell victim to "misplaced concerns" over its impact on
health costs.  Its opponents painted the amendment as maintaining the status
quo, he said, when in fact it represents "significant concessions" with co-pay
hikes and the mail order requirement for elderly.

"These concerns about drug costs taking money away from other defense programs
are completely, 100 percent bogus," Strobridge said.  "The fact is the Pentagon
has been using health care money to fund other things for the past several
years.  And the whole point of this amendment is that health care money should
be used to fund health care."

Defense officials earlier this year sought to reprogram $700 million from health
care into other accounts.  Strobridge said that would have brought total
reprogramming of health dollars to $3 billion over the last three years, a
period when defense officials insisted health costs are out of control.

Coburn predicted the House-backed plan would become law because the "service
organizations want us to do it.  But it is not the right thing to do. We have to
begin, as we negotiate to increase revenues from the very wealthy in this
country, declining expenses at the Defense Department.  Everybody has to share
[in controlling costs]. If they don't share now, they will share much more
painfully in the future."

1.  To contact the author of this article, please write Military Update, P.O.
Box 231111, Centreville, VA, or email milupdate@xxxxxxx or twitter: Tom Philpott

2.  To view\post comments about this article please go to

3.  To contact your elected officials go to

4.  Mailing list archives, subscribe\unsubscribe instructions, and other useful
links are available on the "Links For MIL\RET\VETS" website at

SOURCE:  Stars and Stripes article at