Hi there, to update you on a few action items:
1) VCCP is moving ahead with the rotational mowing at VCCP. This should
improve habitat for wintering sparrows, and is the beginning of a 3-year
rotation to keep habitat at multiple growth levels.
2) Paul is checking in with Max about the purple martin box.
3) Paul has talked to Beech Mountain about utilizing their radio tower for
the AudubonNC tower project. Stay tuned -- Curtis should be up our way
in the next month or so and we'll schedule a meeting to find out the
particulars there. We do need to decide whether to apply for a
Collaborative grant to help AudubonNC with the cost of the tower -- - some
of you weighed in, but not a majority. Please let me know if you haven't
4) The VCCP/Elementary school planting project is scheduled for the last
Wednesday in October. If anyone wants to help -- you're welcome to come.
Adrianna is coordinating with the ASU chapter to hopefully provide most of
the manpower. We'll be planting bird-friendly shrubs and trees along the
parking lot berm where the multiflora was removed, and in the drainage
swale where our previous plantings were removed.
5) Question -- where are we on the sign for Don Mullaney? I've checked
with Bill Weaver and have the cherry tree ready - Paul is confirming where
we could plant both the sign and the tree. Paul -- status of scope
6) BRC demo area -- the trail system is almost complete, and once finished,
BRC will let us know so we can schedule a visit, and get a better idea of
the terracing we're proposing.
7) Tyler's Sunday walks still need more attendance -- hard to change
habits, but he's moving along with more advertising for them.
Please let me know of any other progress made on action items. Thanks.