[hcas] Yellow-rump or Cape May?

  • From: badgerboy@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 20:44:09 -0400

I've been quite puzzled at the many reports coming in to ebird of yellow-rumped warblers, which are pretty unusual this early in the season. This ebird checklist <https://ebird.org/checklist/S95399246> has a picture of a supposed yellow-rumped warbler, which I think is really a Cape May Warbler.

I sometimes forget that Cape May and Magnolia Warblers also have yellow rumps, and apparently this ebirder did as well. Suggestion: don't automatically assume any warbler with a yellow rump is a "Yellow-rumped". Even though ebird doesn't flag them as rare, they are much less common than the others right now.

Guy