[hcas] Red-tailed Hawk with deformed beak still hanging in there!

  • From: badgerboy@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 16:29:44 -0400

A few months ago there was a Red-tailed Hawk with a deformed or injured beak hanging around New River Hills Blvd/Brookshire Park area. As I was going by there today, I wondered whether it had survived with the mangled beak, and almost immediately it dropped down on the grass right in front of me. It was apparently pouncing/hunting on the road side in the taller grass. Whats more, the hawk seems to have become very tame, as several people passed within 15 feet of it while I was there, and one person even stopped jogging, took out a cell phone, and walked up within 10 feet of the bird, took a picture, and then went back to jogging.

While I watched for about 10 minutes the hawk made three attempts to catch something in the grass, but came away empty each time. It appears quite healthy though, as you can see in the pictures on my ebird checklist <https://ebird.org/atlasnc/checklist/S96519019>.

Guy