[Haywire Robotics] Worth Checking Out

  • From: Sue Stahlecker <suestahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haywire-robotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 16:21:19 -0600

Hi Everyone

There will be a special show on Sunday evening at 6:00 PM (this is our time)
on CNN.  It apparently showcases FIRST through a couple of different teams.
Kip thinks that he saw them filming in St. Louis.  Who knows, maybe the loud
yellow group who likes to dance with the rookie teams from Mexico will make
it on national TV??

Here's the information that we received from FIRST.

Mrs.S

*Greetings Friends of FIRST®!*

*I am pleased to announce the airing of a TV special scheduled for this
coming weekend on CNN entitled ‘Education in America: Don’t Fail Me,’ hosted
by Soledad O’Brien, which prominently features three FIRST ® Robotics
Competition (FRC®) teams as they navigate the 2011 FIRST season. I have seen
a preview of this special and it is very thought provoking about the future
of education in this country and how you, as a part of FIRST, can help for
the better.*

*I hope you will join with me in watching this incredible special. Please
also tell 10 of your friends to do the same. We want to get the word about
FIRST as far and wide as possible.*

*Please mark your calendar and tune in to CNN, Sunday, May 15 at 8 PM ET/PT.
(Check your local listings for channel info and broadcast times.)*

*Regards,*

*Jon Dudas*
*President, FIRST*

*
Program Description: *
In *"Education in America: Don't Fail Me,"* we learn that at this very
moment, America's future is at stake.

"If we don't generate the next group of innovators, scientists, engineers,
and problem solvers," inventor Dean Kamen warns, "our standard of living,
our quality of life, our security, will plummet!"

American students rank 17th in science and 25th in math when compared to
other industrialized nations. They don't have the skills to take on the high
tech jobs of the future.

This is because of how and what we teach American kids. It is also because
of a culture that values sports and celebrities above all.

The United States needs to change the way students are taught math and
science, and children need to be encouraged and inspired to take the
toughest classes in those subjects.

There is a nationwide competition designed to motivate high school students
to take those classes, push themselves, and learn more* (FIRST*). Students
Maria Castro, Brian Whited, and Shaan Patel are actively involved in it. But
is it too late for them? Is it too late for us?

**

*FIRST® Robotics Competition Teams featured in the CNN Special include:*
FRC Team 842, Falcon Robotics, Carl Hayden High School, Phoenix, Ariz.
FRC Team 1403, Cougar Robotics, Montgomery High School, Skillman, N.J.
FRC Team 3675, Eagletrons, Seymour High School, Seymour, Tenn.