[HUG ] Re: SV: Re: AW: Re: Biogons and digital backs

  • From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:44:44 -0700

True for any sensor.... it is the angle of the rays that hjt the sensor.  So
for a small sensor, the rays are in the center, and more perpendicular to
the element.  For the corners( for example) the rays are at a more oblique
angle.....and you get fall off.

So, using the SWC, for less than 6x6, you are dealing with  the center of
the lens.. which is better optically, but you are not testing the
corners..... if you use a 6x6 sensor, the question must be asked again...

So while company X may say there is no problem with the SWC and MY new
fangled digital camera back, it may be marketing nonsense.... yes, it is
true the back has no problems, but the lens is not being used to its
capacity.... sort of like saying:  My Ferrari has no problems with pickup (
at 5 MPH).  It tells you nothing.

The WATE was designed to cover 24x36mm.  It "works" on an M8 because of the
smaller sensor on the M8.....  If it had to work on the entire 24x36 area,
there might be troubles......  remember, it is the angle of incidence, and
the fact that film does NOT have this issue......  ( and the fact that Leica
put in some calibration for certain lenses to boost the corner
brightness...... that is why they have the lens recognition stuff.. the 6
bit coding....)

Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So, it is the angle of light hitting the sensor which will create problems
on a FF MF sensor.  Not the lack of any SWC resolution (which is one of the
best in the business).  Since the lense has a resolving power far greater
than any sensors of today.

I shoot with Leica M8 w/WATE (16-18-21 mm) a lot.  Possibly one of the best
digital wide angle solutions on the market.  Far better than, say, Canon 1Ds
III and 16-35 mm 2,8L II.  The Canon offers three aparture stops from the
senter to corner in light fall off.  Even compared with the Canon combo
'cropped' to about 1,33 the Leica combo comes out better with less light
fall off and sharper corners.  - Sweat drip down my back when I see files at
100% in PS from the Canon...

Tom of Oslo