[HUG ] Re: On the subject of equipement cost

  • From: Gary Todoroff <datamaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hasselblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:02:26 -0700

Personally, I do not see where Leica (S2) thinks they are going to get some market share?..
 Frank Filippone

Frank - wasn't the S2 about the most disturbing announcement from Leica in decades? Their new direction with the S2 means that our long-hoped for revolution in 35mm digital from Leica is probably nowhere in the foreseeable future. Leica could have given us the digital equivalent of the M3 surprise of a a half-century ago. Instead Leica has apparently spent untold millions of R&D euros on a camera that relates to very few Leica fans and is probably affordable to even fewer. Along with them, my first reaction to the S2 was an incredulous, "WHAT!?"

If the stock market hadn't tanked, I would be sorely tempted to buy a Leica S2 kit strictly for the collector investment value, since it will be probably be as rare as black M2's - about 1800 ever made: http://northcoastphotos.com/article1.html

Gary Todoroff