[hashcash] Re: ways of integrating into Thunderbird

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:32:17 -0400

On 6/30/2011 11:20 AM, John Honan wrote:
Would a hashcash plugin do the stamping as a background task, transparently? - Or do we need to invoke a dialog and make it foreground? (imo hashcash stamping should be as transparent as possible, in fact the only thing the user should see is a checkbox on the thunderbird preferences screen to enable it, and perhaps a 'number of bits' textbox value)

Anyway, here are a couple of links;

http://www.unsignedbyte.com/?page_id=4
Here's one called the 'send later' extension, it allows you to schedule outgoing emails to be sent later. I think it's relevant as it uses a method of moving the email to drafts, then monitors the drafts folder until a certain time, and then moves it to outbox.

that looks interesting.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/162057/how-do-you-insert-email-headers-with-a-thunderbird-extension
Uses js to intercept the outgoing email and insert headers.

Also looks interesting as does: http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/Add_an_Arbitrary_Custom_Header_to_Mozilla_Thunderbird.htm

we also want to grab messages inbound to check for valid stamps and handle it in some hand-waving appropriate method.

After I sent my message, it occurred to me that maybe we want to start stamp generation when the user starts creating a message and if the person sends the message before the stamp is done, then use the queuing and send later technique suggested above. maybe I'll ask him about a mechanism for adding a plug-in that does some filtering/competition a work and sends the message when it's done. We would also need some sort of an alert indicator to say that the message hasn't been set yet.