[hashcash] Re: some more principles of anti-spam (Re: Re: anti-spam collateral damage)

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:49:10 -0500

Adam Back wrote:

Brad Templeton has some writings about spam that I found well informed
and thought out.

"A statement of Principles regarding the regulation of E-mail."

        http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/prin.html

Particularly I like things like:

- Laws are the last resort
- The ability to send anonymous mail should not be destroyed

these and other topics are expanded upon in that mini-essay.

And other spam related writings:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/

I've had some conversations with Brad about proof of work systems and why he does not consider them viable as an as an anti-spam system. I'm not going to attempt to summarize his position just yet as I have spent the past two days up to my elbows in computer system chaos. I would not be able to do justice to his thinking. He did have an interesting anti-spam proposal which I do want to review (read harvest for good ideas) after I am done with my current tasks.

---eric

--
Question: What's the difference between the Vietnam War and the Iraq War?
Answer: George W. Bush had a plan to get out of the Vietnam War.