[hashcash] Re: parallel hashcash proof of concept

  • From: hal@xxxxxxxxxx ("Hal Finney")
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:43:48 -0800 (PST)

I don't have a multiprocessor system, but I tried the parallel hashcash
code anyway.  See, I have a "hyperthreading" Pentium processor which
somehow pretends to be two processors.  The program that shows system
load puts up two lines for the load on each of the two pseudo-processors.
So I thought I'd see if it was faster to run two hashcash processes at
once using this code.

Unfortunately there wasn't much difference.  Maybe a tiny increase
in speed.  But of course hashcash creation times are so variable, even
doing 100 coins the time varies by maybe 50%.  So it's really hard to
tell if it is helping at all.

I did a little research then and it seems that most hyperthreading
benchmarks show similar results of only a few percent increase at best.
I have to say that this CPU technology is more hype than hyper.

Hal