[hashcash] libfastmint update 20040916 (was: comment on reducing padding)

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:38:57 +0100

hhmmm... what if the padding was done internally? instead of padding the
stamp that's output, a minting application would create a stamp _as_if_ it
were padded and a verifying application would internally add appropriate
padding before calculating the hash.

Yes I thought about this one also. However the downside is one can no longer easily verifying a stamp in script languages using the sha1sum utility. One first would have to undeo the padding compression.

Indeed. This would add complexity which isn't strictly necessary. Yes, the leading zeroes can look untidy, but few users will regularly see this in their MUA.

While we're on the subject, I fixed the bug that made the count field overlap the random field for certain resource lengths. The revised patch, against 1.08 once more, is attached - it simply makes sure the count field is at least 8 bytes long.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/