[hashcash] Re: instead of DNS, stamp value server

  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:48:17 -0400

Hubert Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:56:12 -0400, "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
>> this occurred to me quite a long time ago but I never wrote it down.
>> If instead of using DNS, we used a simple server (Web, XML RPC) and
>> the request returned the number of bits of stamp that IP address
>> should calculate in order to successfully pass the filter on the far
>> side.
>
> This could also be used to allow different users to set their own
> required stamp sizes, if they're not happy with the domain default.

Yes. This would be a good idea. I think I do this already with camram. I think you can set the stamp size in the configuration file at the user level. I know the data is there, I just don't know if it's accessible at the user profile.

Any suggestions on how to implement this stamp value server? Keep it simple, leverage what we have which is a web server and simple XML RPC standalone servers.

---eric