[hashcash] Re: hashcash-1.15 released

  • From: Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:26:44 -0500

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:34:55AM -0800, "Hal Finney" wrote:
> Two minor suggestions for the future: on unix systems it would be
> better if the library filename ended with .a;

It was supposed to do that, I'm presming you're building on a Mac
because it looks like I forgot to put "LIB=.a" on those two targets.
(Will be fixed in next version).

> and it would be nice to put a line in the Makefile about using
> OpenSSL, maybe something that could be uncommented.

For next version I've added target foo-openssl for each target foo
that I think is likely to have openssl.  Maybe even mingw could do it.

> Keep in mind too that it works on other hosts; I'm using it on Mac
> and adding the -DOPENSSL to the Mac build options line worked fine.

I added it for g3-osx-openssl and ppc-linux-openssl.

In the next version I've also tried to build with openssl in the rpm
.spec file so if /usr/lib/libcrypto.a is present it will link to it
otherwise to the builtin SHA1.  The rpm binary should really be using
openssl by default also.  (I am not sure if all rpm systems are
necessarily likely to have openssl installed, adding a package
dependency is kind of annoying for users, and I'd sooner build with
the builtin than give people a package dependency failure and force
people to manually download x-Mb of openssl lib just to get the SHA1
library.)  Of course there is no guarantee that a system that does
have openssl has it in /usr/lib/libcrypto.a.  I suppose a better way
would be to use the right ld or gcc invocation to try it and see.

Adam