[hashcash] Re: hashcash 1.04 released

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:22:56 +0100

I would also need it to check how long it will now take to mint tokens for panta
(now at 27 bits) on my PIII 600.
Could you benchmark a few 27 bit tokens for me ?

Good point - we don't yet have the P6 core family represented. The P3 and P-M are the most important members of this family. The closest I can get on my own hardware, however, would be to severely underclock one of my Athlons.

At 500MHz (the lowest my m/board will let me go), my Athlon-XP gets 0.85Mh/sec, thus taking 1.25s for a 20-bit token. This extrapolates to 160 secs for 27 bits. I estimate this is approximately what you'll get out of your P3 - the Athlon is generally supposed to be slightly faster on a per-clock basis.

For the record, this particular Athlon normally runs at 2GHz, thus getting 3.4Mh/s and taking 0.31s over a 20-bit token. The Standard MMX core is the fastest one there. At the moment, this represents nearly the fastest performance available on x86, at least among the processor types tested so far - a 3.6GHz P4 would be faster, but not greatly, and would cost a bomb! I would, however, expect a high-end Opteron or Athlon-64 to beat both handily.

If 160 seconds is too long for you, I suggest investing in an Xserve. :-)

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/