[hashcash] Re: Speed problem with 1.03 on Mac G4

  • From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:19:26 +0100

I saw this too on my AMD machine, but doing "make 386" instead of "make
x86-mmx" fixed it. Maybe the AMD does not have the MMX or the compiler
does not do it right for that architecture?

No, I wrote the core using an Athlon-XP, so it should work on any machine which supports MMX. It looks like there's a bug (which would show up on any MMX machine), which I should track down and fix.

Here we are - a patch against 1.03pr4 which fixes the MMX cores. It seems to be a compiler bug to do with pointer aliasing, which for some reason got masked during my usual testing but was exposed by the integration process.

This patch also adds a "generic" target to the Makefile, to allow easy compiling on platforms other than x86 and PPC. Additionally, the benchmark is rejigged to a larger workload, since it is no longer used in production and a more accurate result is desirable.

Just for kicks, I got someone with a G5 to benchmark for me. His Xserve (I believe all Xserves are twin 2GHz jobs) gets over 9 million attempts per second using a single thread, using either of the double-pipe Altivec cores. If two threads were used to fill up the CPUs, that translates to nearly 20 20-bit tokens a second, or an easy 24-bit token every second.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/